UKC

Kalymnos & climbing equipment as hand luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 msimpson73 12 Jul 2015
My wife and I are off to Kalymnos next week and in order to cut luggage weight I want to take my rope and karabiners as hand luggage. Does anyone know whether this is allowed or will I need to put my gear into the hold? Thanks for any replies on this topic.
 marsbar 12 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

They will assume you will use the krabs as knuckledusters and the rope to tie people up.
 GridNorth 12 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Some get away with it others don't. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk.
 CathS 12 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

A few years ago I naively packed my harness, some slings, a VF lanyard and some karabiners in my hand luggage for a flight to Italy, assuming that because they weren't on the prohibited items list they should be OK.

My bag got pulled out for a search when it when through the security x-ray (at Liverpool Airport), there was lots of head scratching over the lanyard and krabs, and then a supervisor was called over. I was told that the items 'could be used as a restraint', so I wouldn't be able to take them in the cabin - they'd have to be put in the hold.

I had to take my bag back to the check-in desk (back of the queue) and had to pay for the extra item of hold baggage (£30 I think, and another queue), then rush back through security (more queues) to just about make it in time for final boarding...

Definitely not worth the stress and hassle.

Simon Caldwell 12 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Do a forum search. You'll find that the same thing is asked every couple of weeks.
Summary: you may get away with it, you may not - is it worth the risk of a ruined holiday?
 icnoble 12 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73: Make sure you take plenty of cash.

phil kujawa 13 Jul 2015
In reply to icnoble: Hi my partner and I got helmet, rock shoes and a rope each in our hand luggage from Manchester to Kos in June.
 icnoble 13 Jul 2015
In reply to phil kujawa: You were very lucky then

Ben Snook 13 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Call the airport/s (not the airline), and ask. Bristol were happy (and helpful on the phone (the night before!!)) to let two of us take a full sport climbing set up and a tent with full compliment of guys, poles and pegs to Croatia as hand luggage. Split airport reciprocated with zero fuss. I also move climbing stuff around Norway in my hand luggage fairly regularly and have never run in to problems.

My guess is you'll be fine, but I think you should check first!
 KTC 13 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

A couple of years ago I took all my climbing kit as hand luggage to Klaymnos. Rope, shoes, draws, slings, belays, chalk. They checked the chalk wasn't a nefarious white powder, but otherwise didn't bat an eyelid.
This was Gatwick-Kos.
Having thought about it since - and read a few threads here, I probably wouldn't do it again.
 kipper12 13 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Short answer dont. Put kit into the hold and clothes etc take onboard. I tend to fill a north cafe duffel with climbing stuff, and my sac full of clothes. My 50l sac just fits in the checking cradle.

A few years ago, before tehy got very bad we tried to get a rope on as hand luggage, but were made to check it is, as it was a security risk - we might tie peopld up with it.
 Neil Williams 13 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Check it in, because otherwise whatever anyone says or whatever they say if you call in advance you are completely at the whim of the front-line security people on the day.

Neil
 mike reed 13 Jul 2015
In reply to msimpson73:

Hey,

Check it in.... I only take shoes harness and personal stuff as hand luggage. Been caught before and as said before, it isn't worth the hassle, risk or money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...