UKC

suggest an adventure challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am just coming to the end of a pretty gruelling 10 months of cancer treatment, and want to plan an adventure challenge for 2016 to give myself something to look forward to and train for.
Before diagnosis I was running regularly (fell and trail, up to 16 miles at a time) and leading 6a+ comfortably inside
I have my PADI Advanced, have done some winter mountaineering in the past and lots of summer mountaineering
I aim to be relatively fit agin by spring next year.

I fancy something 3-5 days in length, not too far away (ideally Europe) that will be a challenge, but not too hard core. I've had enough scary moments in the last 10 months not to need to frighten myself to have a good time!
I don't mind doing something on my own, or as part of an organised tour

Any ideas welcome!
 SteveoS 13 Jul 2015
In reply to get to the punchline:

No suggestions but a post of admiration, you're a champion.
 john arran 13 Jul 2015

Worth looking into the Chemin de la liberté, or Freedom trail, which is a commemorative WWII escape route for Allied troops and Jews. My wife runs organised tours for groups but we also support people doing the route independently and would be happy just to provide some pointers if you wanted to be completely self-sufficient.
The walk usually takes 4 days, gains a lot of height and crosses some high passes so is far from easy, and is only usually snow-free from July to September.
More info at http://www.chezarran.com/activity/walking.html

Good luck with whatever you choose to do though - sounds like you've earned it.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Jul 2015

Head up to Scotland and climb all/some of the 4000ft peaks there. You could do anything from running them, climbing them on technical routes, walking, backpacking whatever really. Also nicely scalable based on your fitness. Also I'd really recommend watching either of the two sufferfest films with Alex honnold and cedar Wright I'm guessing that's what you're after!

http://m.epictv.com/media/podcast/the-sufferfest-with-alex-honnold-and-ceda...

Here's the first one. Can't recommend it enough!

Good luck with whatever you do!

Elevator 13 Jul 2015

Have a look at the Haute Randonnee Pyrénéenne - there are some great sections east and west of Gavarnie that could easily make up a challenging 3-5 day high level mountain walk through some amazing scenery, either camping or staying in huts... Options also exist to include one day ascents of peaks like Balaitous, Vignemale, Pic du Midi and others... Ton Joosten's guide, published by Cicerone Press, is a good starting point...
 Bobling 13 Jul 2015

Kayak to Lundy for some granite goodness? Just a thought.
I like the idea of a 'journey' - the Pyrenean Haute looks great! Also combining transport i.e. kayak then climb sounds interesting

getting insurance for all this is going to be a challenge in itself!
 jimjimjim 13 Jul 2015

Probably not quite what you're looking but I would recommend the Devizes to Westminster to anyone looking for a challenge. The straight through for the hardcore or the four day for the semi hardcore. Worth a look.
 Fredt 13 Jul 2015

I strongly recommend you contact these guys.

www.challengecancer.org.uk
 Ramblin dave 13 Jul 2015

The Laugavegurinn in Iceland is a fantastic trip - three and a half days from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork, followed by one longish day (or two short ones with a hut in the middle) from Thorsmork to Skogar, which is optional but recommended.
 Ramblin dave 13 Jul 2015

This sounds good, too:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5567
In reply to Fredt:

Thanks Fredt - it is challengecancer that will be helping me actually! I need some ideas first though really
In reply to Ramblin dave:

That sounds good! Have you done it?
 aliander7 14 Jul 2015

Albania. The Prokoletje mountains in the border regions to Montenegro, getting there is an adventure in its own right. journeytovalbona.com is a good starting point for researching the area. A great sea kayaking trip can be had over 3-4 days along the coast from Himare to remote Bristani Bay, camping at pristine beaches along the way. Did this with a packraft but I think there are some small companies that can organise this. Everything in Albania is a bit improvised, but it's a beautiful and fun place to travel, and some incredibly friendly people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...