UKC

What to do with old leather mountaineering boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SanchoPascoe 18 Jul 2015

The boots I have in mind now reside in a corner of the bedroom. Mid-80's Scarpa Doms, hand stitched double welt vibram soles, double lined leather uppers. Pure works of craftsmanship that I could not ditch. But her in doors says they must go. Apparently I have to much clutter (God she has no idea!) anyway, what can I do with a small redundant piece of minor mountaineering history that had no intrinsic value? Any ideas? Charity shop would probably be a bit reluctant to accept, the carriage costs bring overwhelming as they weigh a bloody ton! When I manage to get them on again the memories flood back, sore toes and ankles and over-exercised leg muscles. Made the market ready for Koflacks and my current Scarpa alphas. Forgot to mention that I think the insulation is beginning to breakdown in the side of one of the boots.
Post edited at 23:39
 jim jones 18 Jul 2015
In reply to SanchoPascoe:
Paint them with PVA and use them for a "novelty feature" in the garden? Or even filled with flowers or cement.

Post edited at 23:46
 Andy Morley 18 Jul 2015

There's a calcifying waterfall in Yorkshire where people often hang their kids' first shoes to turn them to stone. Would probably work for your boots too:

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/how-are-fossils-formed/the-amazing-sto...
Rigid Raider 19 Jul 2015

Er.... cough.... what's wrong with leather mountaineering boots?
 Root1 19 Jul 2015
In reply to jim jones:

Soak them in beer for two years. Then cut them into bitesize pieces and curry them. Hey presto Scarpa Jalfrezi.
Yummy
 NottsRich 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

Interesting link...
 goose299 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

That's pretty cool
 Aigen 19 Jul 2015

Donate them too a youth club. Charity Shop. Or keep them for garden type dirty work.
 Billhook 19 Jul 2015

I use old hill boots for working in. (almost as good as safety boots but a lot better comfort and waterproofing than safety boots
 barbeg 19 Jul 2015

What size are they ?

Still serviceable?

ANdy
 Dave the Rave 19 Jul 2015
Put them on the corner of a random street, and set a fire in them. That would freak some folk out!
 Timmd 20 Jul 2015

Could you plead sentimental value as a reason to keep them?
SanchoPascoe 20 Jul 2015

What size are they ?

Still serviceable?

ANdy
Yes they are useable and a snug size 42 according to the tongue info. But as for gardening in them, stiff is not the word! As my left ankle now sports a selection of medical stainless steel courtesy of a small ledge on South Groove Direct, circa 1992 they also rob the wrong spot like hell. Not the boots fault but the leather just catches the pin in just the wrong spot. Fossilising them, already done as the leather is solidly indestructable. Some interesting recipes though.
SanchoPascoe 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> Could you plead sentimental value as a reason to keep them?

Not when their main purpose is to keep the wardrobe door shut.
 Timmd 20 Jul 2015

> Not when their main purpose is to keep the wardrobe door shut.

Then they're useful! Problem solved.
 3leggeddog 20 Jul 2015

Planters, they look great with something like a pair of standard bays growing out of them.

Or mount them to a wall, fence, tree and let the birds nest in them
 Timmd 21 Jul 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Pen holders
 iksander 21 Jul 2015

Sell them on ebay, Hoxton is awash with them. Don a fake beard and topknot to model them.
 Trangia 21 Jul 2015

Geraniums look good in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...