UKC

Quchua Forclaz 400 jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheseKnivesMan 21 Jul 2015
Hi, does anybody here have any experience using Quechua gear from Decathlon? I've heard great things for the price pertaining to the waterproof trousers, softshell gear etc. Wondering specifically about the Forclaz 400 jacket...it seems a very good value 3 layer mountain shell. I'd be using it (mainly in the rucksack) for Summer and Winter in Scotland if I was to buy it. I have a Patagucci softshell I fire on if it's cold, windy or drizzly which works fine, but I don;t really have a good hardshell and I loathe to pay upwards of £300.

Andypeak 21 Jul 2015
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

Not used that jacket but have a lot of decathlon stuff and it is really good. In my opinion decathlon is one of the best gear manufactures out there.
 nniff 21 Jul 2015

Everything from Decathlon that I have is at least as good as the mainstream labels' stuff. It also lasts very well
 MrJared 21 Jul 2015

I don't have that Jacket but I do use a Quchua Jacket for everything from working the doors of my nightclub to scrambling up Jacks rake. Has never let me down and still looks like I haven't used it!
 Niall_H 24 Jul 2015

I've got a Forclaz 400 jacket and I like it - the fabric's got a bit of stretch, the arms are cut long, and the hood will go over a helmet, which makes it good for climbing. Also, it's not too heavy. Sadly, though, the pockets seem designed for walking use and cross over harness-height, so they halve in size once you have a harness on. Mine kept me dry through the spring's rains, but the spec sheet does list a hydrostatic head about half that of more expensive jackets so it may give in in a proper hoolie.
getsid 27 Jul 2015

Ive had a forclaz 400 for 3 years and ive done the Annapurnas twice and Everest base camp, 5,600M+ passes etc with and its been brilliant. Its now past its best and leaks a bit but for £70 its done 3 years of 3 months heavy duty trekking, and I wouldn't expect a goretex jacket to last as long. The novodry numbers are lower than goretex but so is the price. Long sleeves, pit zips and a good hood are a definite plus. Decathlon have just replaced it with a new one for free without a receipt so im delighted to have another identical jacket! Decathlon also do great lightweight merino sweaters for £15 which pack down to nothing. 5* from me.
 Timmd 28 Jul 2015
I don't know if I've been unlucky or if outdoor conservation work is harder on gear than 'going outside to play' or if I'm particularly hard on gear, but the zips on my Decathlon waterproof trousers started to malfunction after a couple of months, and my waterproof jacket only lasted for a year and a half-ish before the main zip stopped working (that's either being worn or taken in a rucksack 3 days a week), before which the zips on the pockets had given up the ghost.

My own experience is enough to make me not trust Decathlon zip quality. Other people seem happy enough, but for me their zip quality is the worst I've experienced.

Post edited at 17:49
 Andypeak 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

pretty sure they use YKK zips same as everyone else. Decathlon stuff usually has a good warranty (at least 2 years, sometimes up to 10) so if its broke take it back.
 Niall_H 28 Jul 2015
Yup: YKK zips on mine (I just checked)

Timmd 28 Jul 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:
I patched up the trousers by sewing them together at strategic points so they didn't fall apart and still ventilated, and the jacket started wearing at the fabric on one cuff by the end, so I think I probably got my money's worth given it's continuous use. Perhaps outdoor work is just hard(er) on gear?
Post edited at 22:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...