UKC

Sport Climbing Europe with Kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 30 Jul 2015

Can anyone recommend good sport climbing venues in Europe you have holidayed to with your kids? Both my girls climb a little and are happy at a crag but we also want days we can go to the beach, water parks, or alternatively - for none coastal venues - just good sightseeing etc. It's also better with crags that have flattish areas for picnics, not high crags with steep approach slopes.
Any help really appreciated.
Post edited at 07:22
 Sealwife 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

I have three kids who climb (sometimes). Just back from the Chamonix area. We climbed at La Duchere and La Fayet on this occasion and have climbed at Les Gaillands in the past. All three crags meet your criteria. La Duchere is at Les Contamine, in an activity park which has a cafe, swimming lake, parcour, high wires courses, mini-golf, trampolines etc etc. La Fayet is in a village park and Les Gaillands is on the outskirts of Chamonix and has a small lake, walks and a cafe.

Also have visited Tenerife and climbed at Arico. Although there are no child orientated entertainments at the crag, my lot were happy enough exploring around the place, looking for lizards (not hard to find) etc.

Enjoy your trip.
OP Steve Perry 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Sealwife: Thanks for the post. I have been to Tenerife climbing and did think of taking the kids there as we saw lots of locals with kids in Arico. I will check out your other recommendations as well.

g1m147 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

The Ardeche has it all for a family holiday with a bit of cragging to be done.
The climbing is OK, and the rivers are warm.
Been there a couple of times now.

Gary.

In reply to g1m147: Thanks Gary.

LeeWood 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

My now 10yr old lad is v happy with Cavallers he's now done 3 trips - the water may be cold but in true summer weather its great.

Cathy 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

The Ariege has potential. The key sport crags - Calame and Auzat - have reasonably easy access and friendly bases, and the climbing is good. Then there are rivers to swim in, some amazing caves and cave paintings to visit, easy hiking, ruined Cathar castles, pretty French villages and towns and the centre of Toulouse is good for tourism too.
 Chris Harris 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:
http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/sites/default/files/KidsInFrance.htm

Lots of info here.

All the pics seem to be dead for some reason, but all the text is present.
Post edited at 16:10
In reply to Steve Perry:

Hi

the durance valley is a good summer venue for family climbing plus other activities, also known as Haute Alpes, Ecrins or around Briancon,

there are over 3300 sports route at every grade from 3 to 9a, over 6 rock types and lots of friendly crags with nice flat ground for kids, other than climbing there are lakes for swimming in and eating icecream by, via ferratas for all levels including a kids one, a place for the kids to see and feed the marmots very cool, white water rafting, great walks and lots of tourist things like Briancon old town and fort.

i live here and i am happy to help with any advice or info

cheers Rob
In reply to ecrinscollective: Thanks everyone for great info, it looks like we have a lot to go through. Much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...