UKC

kalymnos accomodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebbles 03 Aug 2015
hello
brains picking for apartment recommendations
anyone got any recent recommendations or 'avoid's for accomodation in kalymnos?
in particular - anyone stayed at fatolitis, and if so, did you think it good or bad?
 Serena Lambre 08 Aug 2015
In reply to pebbles:

Hey Pebbles.
Have stayed in two places myself, but have had partners that were staying in different places, so have gone to theirs to pick them up, have drinks, etc.

Personally I would still recommend the Hotel Philoxenia as the best place I've seen.
Location wise it's great because it is right underneath the Grande Grotta, so you don't have an epic walk at the start of each day.
The rooms are spacious and have the best views on the island. Plus the guy who runs it (Nicholas) is on site 24 hours a day, has perfect English and is computer savvy, so he can respond to all your needs, at all times - which you can not say about most of the people/places on the island.

No offence to the Greeks; I love the fact that Kalymnos is very unspoilt and old-fashioned, but the reality is a lot of the locals don't have a website, might not speak much English, and would not be at the end of a mobile phone. Which is fine if you're lazing on a beach all day, but when you have a busy week of climbing ahead of you and every hour counts, you don't want to spend a lot of time waiting around because your shower broke and you have to ask the guy from local shop to try and find your landlord, who is his cousin's brother's wife's boss!

Word from the wise - Neil Gresham stays at the Hotel Philoxenia every year and had his 40th birthday party there, so ........ pretty good advert right there.

I've been to Kaly three times now and am just planning my fourth trip, so anything else you need to know, feel free to ask.

callwild 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Serena Lambre:

How far is hotel Philoxenia from Masouri?
Andy Gamisou 19 Aug 2015
In reply to callwild:
> How far is hotel Philoxenia from Masouri?

About 5 minutes walk.

Most of the locals do speak reasonable English by the way. Bit surprised previous responder found that not to be the case. I 've even found goat herders in the remotest corners to have enough to converse with.
Post edited at 19:41
 Scott K 22 Aug 2015
In reply to pebbles:
Another vote for Philoxenia. You can walk to a lot of crags, all rooms have balconies so you can hang washing, breakfast is basic but good-yoghurt is brilliant!
There is a small shop (Fannys) just down the road for water, snacks and she has a small bakery as well.
The hotel is family run and they are all very nice. Nikolas is really good and always smiling. Great sense of humour.
There is also a very good ice cream shop in the village!
Been to Kalymnos 3 times and wouldn't stay anywhere else-think my family would lynch me if I even suggested it.
By the way, all the restaurant speak at least reasonable English and most speak it well. They are all really nice people-perhaps the most welcoming place I have visited. Just hope it doesn't change with the problems Greece are having at the moment.
Post edited at 10:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...