UKC

Approach shoes - suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kieran_John 03 Aug 2015
When it comes to anything BUT climbing shoes I'm pretty basic. One pair of trainers, one pair of shoes. Replace when they completely fall apart. That's me.

However they're falling apart extra quick now because my bouldering has increased and I'm using my every-day trainers when I'm out and about at crags, clambering over rocks, stomping through muddy fields until I can find somewhere comfy to sit down and slot my climbing shoes on.

So I've decided I probably need a pair of approach shoes, something tough, closer to trainer than boot, that's capable of some very easy climbing (not that I boulder hard, v2/3 with the odd soft v4) and also look ok, as I'll be using them out and about round town too. Waterproofing isn't super important but would be handy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've had a quick look through this article (http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7334) and was tempted by the Scarpa - Crux.
 Andypeak 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Needle Sports are selling off the old version of Salewa Wildfire at a reduced price. I was very impressed with mine. They only have 8.5 and 9 left in stock though.
 beardy mike 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

La sportiva explorers. By far the best approach shoe I've ever had...
 David Barlow 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

The 5.10 Camp Four
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6889 (I have the previous version, as have several of my friends).

Don't get the 5.10 guide tennie unless you want to die on steep wet grass slopes: it's designed for sunny California granite, not the UK.
ultrabumbly 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

If you want something more trainer like then Addidas Terrex are fairly inexpensive if you shop around for past season models. You can usually get them around half price(approx £60). They come in low and mid and possibly I saw a high ankle style once.An excellent shoe if the fit suits you. If you get the muted colour styles of say the Swift they are good for general mooch around trainers. They have an excellent sole and are ok for scrambling but you wouldn't want to even boulder easy probs in them (you shouldn't anyway due to having gritty shoes). There is one called the Solo that has a smeary type C4 area on the sole if you really wanted it.

http://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-shoes

I honestly think more people don't wear them b/c they aren't seen as a bona fide outdoor brand.

I
 eltankos 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Decathlon's are fairly decent.
cap'nChino 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

5:10 Insights are my weapon of choice. My first pair have seen me through everything from city sight seeing, easy grade climbs, mountain climbing and walking as well as general day to day use and gardening, still going (though split in places after 8 years of abuse). Cannot recommend enough.
Though it think they are discontinued and now replaced with Camp 4's. The camp 4' look a little chunky for my taste.
 Graham Booth 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

La Sportiva Boulder X are great

Bonus you can actually climb in them!
 GridNorth 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I've got 5.10 Camp 4's and love them. They are dropping to bits but I can't bring myself to part with them. They are comfy and sticky even on wet rock. I also have a pair of Sportiva Boulder X but I always seem to reach for the camp 4's.

Al
 cragrat 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

+1 for the Sportiva Boulder.
 Alex Riley 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I've got the arcteryx acrux and they are great. I didn't pay anywhere near the retail price though, but if you are feeling plush they are really comfy out of the box and climb really well. I used them on a trip to Poland the other week and bouldered v2-3 in them, f5 sport and did a 16km mountain walk in them.
 kevin stephens 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:
another vote for 5.0 Camp 4. The latest version are even better and much lighter; enough to be ok clipped to back of harness. Another important benefit for me is a really good heel cup which feels very supportive on scree and the like.
OP Kieran_John 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Well, thanks a bunch guys, I've gone from thinking about two shoes to considering half a dozen now
In reply to Kieran_John:

To those recommending the Camp Four, do you guys have the new or old version? Seems to have changed, opinion varies but maybe not for the better?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6889
In reply to David Barlow:

+1 for 5.10 Camp Four, I have the previous version too.
 angry pirate 03 Aug 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

Plus one for these. I picked up a pair fairly recently and they have been very confidence inspiring on rock. Not so hot on wet grass, mud etc but that's because the tread isn't very deep.
In reply to Kieran_John:

CragX climbing shop at the Foundry are still selling the old version.
 whenry 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I've got the Crux - they're pretty decent.
 wbo 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:
What rock shoes do you wear? I can't wear 5-10 shoes because of the shape and found five tennies a horrible fit, and rubbish quality. Sportiva hypers are nice to climb in but a bit high at the ankle
Tomtom 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

As with a new pair of rock boots, you'll find that there's infinite amount of choice out there!
As a tight fisted northern monkey, I went for price.
Rock and run happened to have the scarpa vitamins on sale from about 140 to 60. I haven't put them through much yet, but they're comfy, well adjustable, have a vibram sole, and are alright for scrambling.
In reply to Tomtom:

Price is most definitely a factor, and I'm tempted by the camp four, especially through that crag x link for the old version at £85.

Rock shoes, I've got a few. Current main pair are some pink EB (forget the model), along with some horrendous smelling but comfy defys for longer sessions that involve moving about a bit. I did have a pair of 5.10 verdes (they're the green right?) and they fit like a glove until I wore the toe through. I am not a graceful climber.
 kevin stephens 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:
The review seems to be saying the new version seems less substantial but will last as least as long as the old ones??
I've had both, the new ones are even better
Tomtom 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

http://www.rockrun.com/scarpa-vitamin

They had a full set of sizes when I bought mine, but looks like the sale has stripped their stock.
 mbh 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

After three painful days of trekking in Salomon boots that no longer seem to fit my feet (dunno, go figure) I gave up on them and walked another day in a knackered pair of loose Birkenstocks. Three days in the Pyrenees then beckoned, and I had to get something. There were three shops in town (Ax-les-Thermes) and the choice wasn't great, but I plumped
for Kimberfeel Chogoris

http://www.snowuniverse.com/kimberfeel-chogori-p11147.html

I'd never heard of the make, let alone the model, but they seem well made, have a Vibram sole and are very comfortable. Salomons and Inov8s just don't fit me.

I paid 85 euros.
 wbo 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I have the similar zen and like it. Scarpas in general fit me very well
In reply to Tomtom:

Bah, no (tiny) EU40s left or I'd have jumped at them for £60. Thanks anyway!

Kevin: I got the impression from a couple of reviews that the new Camp 4's weren't quite as decent on rock?
 Mike-W-99 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I've found that whilst comfy the scarpa Crux tends to wear out a bit too quickly.
 Jamie Hageman 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Snow and Rock have Camp 4s at £79. Not a bargain, but I've hardly seen them on special anywhere. The tread is very knobbly, so great for steep grass/choss. The rubber is very grippy. There's a goretex lined version, but they're a bit more. They're quite wide fitting, but certainly comfy for me.
In reply to Kieran_John:

Scarpa Mojito GTX, although pricey (£125) are easily the best approach shoes I have ever had. I used to get through approach shoes in about 9 months because the uppers split or fell apart, but not these.

I bought my first pair of Mojitos about 18 months ago and have worn them pretty continuously ever since. The chunky Vibram sole is now almost completely worn out but the uppers are still perfect and amazingly they remain reasonably waterproof.

The standard Mojito shoe is essentially the same except that it is not waterproof. However, its only £85.

Recommend.
OP Kieran_John 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Settled on the 'new' 5.10 Camp 4 after seeing the old design in-store today and not being that keen on it. I like the look of the new one though.

Now to find a store that actually stocks it so I can try it on before buying it (people still do that right?). Went to a couple of outdoor stores in Leeds today with no luck!
Removed User 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I use 5.10 guides and find them really comfortable. Have no problem climbing about in them or scrambling. If I wanted something that felt a bit more comfortable when climbing I'd go with Sportiva Gandas which are really incredible shoes.
 AlanLittle 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

I have the Camp 4 older version. They feel more like a low cut walking boot than a trainer; I find them great for long moderate alpine rock routes but much prefer running shoes for general mooching around.

The new version is different though and may be less clunky.
 Andypeak 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Im selling a brand new pair of salewa wildfire gtx size 10 if your interested.
 jayferg76 06 Aug 2015
In reply to colin struthers:

I got the non lined version, love them for summer. Really comfy and tough as anything. Apart from being a bit mucky mine are as good as new.
Solomons for winter and the wet.
OP Kieran_John 06 Aug 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

Cheers Andy, but I'm a 7.

Just trying to hunt down a store that has some stock of 5.10 Camp 4's, or the Scarpa Crux (They get wife approval for being something she'd be seen with me wearing) and see how they fit. Very few stores in Leeds seem to have them!
 Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Scarpa are doing the crux on their own clearance website at 60quid a pair.
OP Kieran_John 06 Aug 2015
In reply to prog99:

Well, all the advice in the world can't compete with how cheap I am, so I've been swayed from the Camp Fours by these cheap Crux's. Ordered a pair, thanks for that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...