UKC

Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Michael MacArthur 03 Aug 2015
Hi there. I am going to North Wales in a couple of weeks and am looking for a new rope to take with me.
Will be for multi pitches but also need to be man enough to put up with lowering my kids down and probably my wife as well. So will have to put up with some abuse. I

I am looking at the mammut Galaxy dry 60m for £122 at go outdoors. Any one with experience of this rope? Or Any advise or suggestions on any other ropes suitable?
Michael MacArthur 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Michael MacArthur:
Or maybe mammut infinity?
 neuromancer 03 Aug 2015

North Wales really does benefit from a pair of halves.

Mammut Genesis tend to be very durable?
 Andy Nisbet 03 Aug 2015

If your kids (presumably not more than 2) and your wife are all seconding on a multi-pitch routes, you'll need two ropes. If none of them are heavy, then you should get away with two half ropes, like the Mammut Genesis. Two on one rope, one on the other, but be aware of the stretch with two on a half rope. If the last person falls and the stretch pulls off the second, then that's more stretch.
 jimjimjim 03 Aug 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Nah...I've always used just one rope for 99% of my climbing., and only a 50m. Makes me laugh when I see all these teams with two 60m ropes on easy short stuff. Only on big crags in winter do I get two out. So much faff time saved.
gritstone....30m single is the only way
 neuromancer 04 Aug 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

Did you miss the part of every post where we weren't talking about short straight up routes on grit but long wander in routes in North Wales?
Michael MacArthur 04 Aug 2015
Do you think there is any need to get a rope that's treated? Or are they aimed more at extreme conditions (raining or snowing)
 SteveoS 04 Aug 2015

Price match rock n run!
 andrewmc 04 Aug 2015

> Do you think there is any need to get a rope that's treated? Or are they aimed more at extreme conditions (raining or snowing)

It's North Wales. There are only two kinds of weather in summer - raining, or it will be raining later :P (as I found out this weekend...)
 andrewmc 04 Aug 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

UKC grit bias

It doesn't really take that much longer to pull up a few extra metres of rope, the extra length means you can run pitches together, and I am often glad of the extra 10m on my 60m ropes when abbing off crags.
 GridNorth 04 Aug 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:
Interesting. In 50 years of climbing I have never felt the need for a 60 metre rope in the UK. It's not just the taking in it's also the carrying up and the coiling, not to mention the increased costs. In any case if you use half ropes, which are the best option on most Welsh rock climbs, that's 20 metres more rope not 10. If you run pitches together that also means you have to carry more nuts, slings, QD's etc. and IMO you lose touch with the history of the route by running pitches together. I mean it's not as if time is a serious issue as it would be in the Alps where running pitches together can have benefits. I'm luck enough to own 60 metre half ropes, purchased specifically at the time for Morocco, but in the UK I always reach for the 50 metre ones.

Al
Post edited at 13:17
 planetmarshall 04 Aug 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

It's not even like every gritstone route is straight up. Many benefit from half ropes, and doubling up just confuses things (blue on left and...er...blue on right).
 ChrisBrooke 04 Aug 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> It's not even like every gritstone route is straight up. Many benefit from half ropes, and doubling up just confuses things (blue on left and...er...blue on right).

It's not too bad though, and I get to do my favourite shit joke *EVERY* time I double up a half rope on grit: "take in a bit on blue".....wait for them to look down and try and figure out which one, realise they're both blue, try to figure out again which one i might mean, realise I'm taking the piss, look up and call me a bell-end, or just laugh politely....
 jimjimjim 04 Aug 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

My point about the grit was that it's often very small and I see people using ×2 60 m ropes.
I climb all over Wales on all the classic routes with a single 50. There is the odd time when I can't take the obvious abseil and have to walk a bit further but not much. It's personal preference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...