UKC

Dolomites Rifugios

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsden.d.paul 04 Aug 2015
I am heading to the dolomites first week in September but currently unplanned as to what we are hoping to do. Is there generally space in the huts to simply turn up on the day or is booking ahead advisable?

Thanks,

Paul
 beardy mike 04 Aug 2015
In reply to marsden.d.paul:

In the mountains September becomes much quieter... You'll probably be fine just ringing a day or two ahead.
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks Mike.
 Toerag 05 Aug 2015

I've never really had a problem in September when staying during the week - we were always able to get a 4 person room for the two of us. On one occasion we ended up in a dorm, but were were a group of 6 - that was the rif. Alimonta. Can't remember if it was a weekend or not.
 beardy mike 05 Aug 2015

No problem. Of course if you're in a group of 4 I can thoroughly recommend booking my place ahead Look at my profile if you're interested... away from the crowds and a beautiful spot...
 JohnnyW 05 Aug 2015

Just back from the Brenta, and although I reserved the huts, there have always been places when I called - See my blog for our wee nav error that led to such a situation! They are excellent by the way.
http://www.johnnywalker.co.uk/blog/which-way-on-the-boccette-way
In reply to beardy mike:

First place i looked was your accommodation Mike. You probably don't remember but we climbed together at Wintours Leap a couple of years back. Its just the two of us and planning to spend 3 days moving from hut to hut before meeting family in Cortina.

We have an eye on Sentiero Massimiliano so any recommendations to include that in a 3 days trip would be appreciated. Preferably a round trip or easy return to the start point to collect the car.

beardy mike 06 Aug 2015

I thought I recognized the name! If you want a three day trip, take a look around Civetta - there are supposedly (haven't done them yet) stonking routes there. It's a very short drive up from the airport too. Check this out - looks like just the ticket for an able climber like yourself : http://www.via-ferrata-dolomites.com/via-ferrata-trekking/via-ferrata-easte...
 beardy mike 06 Aug 2015

Also just realised where S Massimiliano is, you can do some nice stuff up in the Cantenaccio but it's not terribly taxing. The Massimiliano does like like a cracker though - just a long way to get up to it...
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 06 Aug 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

You couldn't ask for a more beautiful approach than the Val Duron though...
 beardy mike 06 Aug 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

True dat...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...