UKC

Gouter hut closed again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jdgaventa 06 Aug 2015
Just a quick heads-up that the Gouter hut has been closed again due to rockfall risk in and around the Grand Couloir, and a guide has been posted just below the to advise climbers against doing the normal route on Mont Blanc from either the Gouter or Tete Rousse. Climbers coming down from Mont Blanc this morning were being evacuated to Tete Rousse by helicopter (unfortunately I didn't get the message and descended by the grand couloir as usual, so missed out on a lift!).

With hot weather continuing to be forecast it's not clear when the but and route might reopen. Certainly lots of loose rock up there (and no snow at all in the Grand Couloir).

Also note the train to Nid d'Aiguile is closed for repairs so it was a rather long slog up from the Bellevue cable car.
 Phil Murray 07 Aug 2015
In reply to jdgaventa:

I was up there yesterday & many parties were coming down, running across the couloir, but it didn't seem very "active" & the Cham office said it wasn't too bad at the mo, so am surprised. I've booked the Tete rousse for the week after next so will need to keep an eye on this.

Nid d'Aigle shut *was* a pain - turned an "easy" day into a long slog!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...