UKC

Swanage boat or topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 13 Aug 2015
Hi, I'm trying to put together a topo of my new traverse of the Ruckle. Hence I need either a complete set of photos from cattle toughs to subluminal or a boat so we can take set. If the latter, any advice on size of boat, how far from the cliff to be, how calm it needs to be and finally who might have a boat would be extremely welcome. I have a photographer willing to do it, who also likes to post process stuff, so if anyone did have a boat I guess we could take 1000 shots and produce a giga-pixel like image for the web that everyone who climbs at Swanage might find useful, interesting, or just fun.

They did it for El Cap, let's do it for the Ruckle!

All thoughts most welcome as I know nothing about photography.

Thanks
 Bob M 13 Aug 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Try contacting Scott Titt or Steve Taylor as they took the photos for the topos in the recent CC guide. I think that they will have a complete set from Cattle Troughs to Subluminal, although some bits of the Ruckle have fallen down since the photos were taken...
 humptydumpty 13 Aug 2015
In reply to David Coley:

What about using a drone? There are probably more drone-owners with free time than boat-owners.
In reply to David Coley:

Try some of the local kayaking groups? Might be another good alternative like the drones. Always people kayaking around that area.
OP David Coley 13 Aug 2015
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

Thanks Sam, will do. Let me know if you have any names. Otherwise I'll just google it.
fiendoidel 14 Aug 2015
In reply to David Coley:

YHM. I know a south coast based photographer with a drone.
In reply to humptydumpty:

There's not that many drones that would be able to lift a good enough camera and for any decent amount of time. You'd need an octacopter or big hexacopter. Probably even less pilots that would be willing to risk flying all that kit over the sea
 Toerag 14 Aug 2015
In reply to David Coley:

distance from cliff depends on focal length of lens. The further away you are the longer the lens you can use and less distorted the images will be, which is more useful for stitching images together. If it's calm a 16 footer would be fine.
OP David Coley 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Toerag:
> The further away you are the longer the lens you can use and less distorted the images will be, which is more useful for stitching images together.

any recommendation for focal length or distance from cliff?
Thanks
Post edited at 15:00
 scott titt 15 Aug 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Hi David
I have lot of experience photographing the Ruckle, it is not easy so have had a few trys!
I have a lot of pics that cover all of the Ruckle, but not all taken at the same time so not perfect for the job.
I also have a little boat, best if you talk to me so I can run you through the pitfalls, too much for me to type.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...