UKC

Lundy ferry baggage restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 14 Aug 2015
I was surprised to note the 20 kg baggage restriction for the Lundy boat - going there next month - and an indication that excess weight will have to be paid for but the rate not given. Also no specific information on the nature of hand luggage permitted - maybe something similar to cheaper airlines? Or not.

Maybe it has something to do with the backup helicopter and its weight restrictions? Has anyone any experience of a Lundy visit and baggage situation? Or come across any other wee pitfalls the extensive rules can cause....
 climbingpixie 14 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I've been to Lundy 3 times and never known anyone have trouble with their luggage, even taking camping stuff as well as climbing gear. As you say, might be more of a problem if the weather's bad and you have to be choppered back. 20kg is loads anyway, you shouldn't have any problems.

WRT hand luggage, best thing is to take your climbing sack with all your climbing gear. It can take a while to get your hold luggage when you get there as they normally unload it, ferry it up the big hill and drop it off wherever you're staying. If you haven't got your gear with you you'll be waiting around for ages until you can go climbing!

P.S. I'd recommend seasickness tablets prior to boarding. It's a rare crossing, even with mild seas, that doesn't see someone vomiting over the side.
OP gilliesp 14 Aug 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

Thank you. Someone emailed me with same luggage experience as you. So I am getting the picture.
 kevin stephens 14 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:
never had luggage weight restriction enforced

Top tip: take hand sanitizer for the boat; I'm convinced this is the vector for Lundy Island's sporadic outbreaks of Noro Virus
OP gilliesp 14 Aug 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

Please tell me you are having a laugh.....
 kevin stephens 14 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I was part of a large party one of the few to escape the virus, my mates suffered from the symptoms 1-2 days after arriving which is the incubation period, I remember the loos on the boat being much less sanitary than those on the island

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...