UKC

Easy Jet: Bristol to Geneva & Dangerous Goods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lumbering Oaf 16 Aug 2015
Hello UKCers,

Have read some recent posts on UKC about 'Dangerous Luggage', such as ice axes, crampons, and other sundry sharp sporting goods being listed on the easy jet list of banned items that are not allowed either in the hold or, more reasonably, in hand luggage.

Has anyone recently flown from Bristol airport to Geneva and had ice axes, crampons and poles in their hold luggage? (And successfully made flight and picked up said items at other end?)

LO
 Cheese Monkey 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Lumbering Oaf:

I went last year with no problems at all
 Trangia 16 Aug 2015

I don't think anyone has said ice axes, crampons and the like can't be taken as hold luggage provided they are well wrapped or inside a suitcase, so that they don't damage other passengers' luggage.

The problem arises with hand luggage where such items are banned and this also appears to include krabs, ropes, slings etc, in fact anything which security may consider can be used as a weapon.

I've not flown from Bristol, but have flown from Gatwick to Geneva and other destination, and never had a problem with collecting them the other end. However I was stopped at Bilbao once and made to completely unpack everything, even to the extent of unwrapping my tent where they checked inside the poles.
 NottsRich 16 Aug 2015

> 'Dangerous Luggage', such as ice axes, crampons, and other sundry sharp sporting goods being listed on the easy jet list of banned items that are not allowed either in the hold

Where have you read this?
ultrabumbly 16 Aug 2015

"the official list" pretty much excludes everything and has done so for a while I think

http://www.easyjet.com/en/dangerous-goods
 Fiona Reid 16 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Flew with them Edinburgh to Basel and back in July with axe and crampons in each bag. Have done the same to various airports including Geneva, Munich and Milan over the last 10 years and never had any issues. I always make sure the spiky stuff is well padded.
OP Lumbering Oaf 16 Aug 2015
thanks to all for info, feel more reassured to pack spikey gear in hold luggage well padded!

Cheers
LO
 Steve Hill 17 Aug 2015

Did Bristol <-> Geneva a couple of weeks ago on Squeezyjet - I had no problems with axe, crampons, multifuel stove, ropes and gear in the hold.

A friend accidentally left his crampons in his hand baggage when returning and security at Geneva turned him back. Thankfully Easyjet let him check in his hand bag at no extra cost when he explained what had happened!

The banned items list looked badly worded to me - I _think_ it means that axes aren't allowed in the cabin, but a strict reading of it certainly makes it sound like they aren't allowed in the hold either.

I've also heard of people having problems with unfuelled stoves in hold baggage, but I had no problems. Easyjet publish information on how you're expected to pack stoves: http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/unusual-baggage

I did have to unpack my hold bag at Chambery a few years ago because my crampons had shown up on the Xray. But after identifying what they were, security had no problem with them.
 Neil Williams 17 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:
They appear to have changed the list to merge the 3 lists (not in hand luggage, not in hold luggage, not at all) and in doing so screwed it up. Fortunately, it isn't easyJet who get to decide what goes in from a mixed-up list, it's the airport's security operation who actually do the checks.

Neil
Post edited at 08:18
 Ryan Parle 19 Aug 2015

I've never tried taking anything like an ice axe or crampons from bristol to geneva, but i have taken ski poles (with my skis) to to chamonix & no questions were asked... but then i guess that EasyJet see thousands of sets of skis & ploes every winter.

A load of my friends flew from bristol to geneva a few months ago to go on one of those arc'teryx acadamy courses they all had ice axes, crampons, knives, stoves ect. and they didn't have any problems at all, despite one of them realising that he still had a gerber multitool in his jacket pocket (he was stopped by security and was told that if he paid £5 it could be posted back to his home address, then he was let through) also on the way back he left his crampons in his hand luggage, the security at geneva let him board anyway saying "next time please make sure you pack them in the hold baggage"

One thing that annoys the hell out of me about all these supposed 'security' restrictions, is that you can generally still take glass bottles full of duty-free into the cabin and, as far as I understand it, a broken bottle can make a formidable weapon. Proof spirits are also highly flammable. Still, we mustn't let largely phony concerns about 'security' get in the way of making a quick buck, must we? Similarly, fly business and they apparently give out metal knives to eat your meal with...
Post edited at 11:36
 Neil Williams 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Squidward Tenticles:

> One thing that annoys the hell out of me about all these supposed 'security' restrictions, is that you can generally still take glass bottles full of duty-free into the cabin and, as far as I understand it, a broken bottle can make a formidable weapon. Proof spirits are also highly flammable. Still, we mustn't let largely phony concerns about 'security' get in the way of making a quick buck, must we?

Quite. There is a very strong argument that spirits should not be permitted on aircraft at all in any form.

> Similarly, fly business and they apparently give out metal knives to eat your meal with...

Usually with a blunt end, to be fair, and the same as available in airport cafes etc.

Neil
 andrewmc 20 Aug 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...