UKC

jan/feb/march - what would you do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 17 Aug 2015
Hi,

So... after 4 years of persistent moaning, work have actually agreed to me having 3 months off. Unfortunately, they have chosen the first 3 months of next year. I did say I didn't care to be honest, there is always somewhere in the world to climb .

Anyways, now trying to form a plan. Got some ideas/tips/suggestions?

My only plan so far is to make it to the arapiles/grampians in march (anyone keen? email me). So the rest is free. No bouldering though, I can do that here and I'm crap at it. And defo not somewhere alpine/snow/cold. Big, small, hard, easy don't really care. As long as it's world class (no, not Stoney. I know its the best crag in the world, but something further afield ). And sociable as I don't want to rely on finding someone to go with, chances are I'll be heading for quite a bit of the trip on my own.

So, where would you go?

Cheers,
Si
 summo 17 Aug 2015
In reply to snoop6060:
Ski, climb, ski, climb in Europe. Or go to NZ and climb etc.. It really depends on your budget for travel & accommodation.

You can stay fairly loose and flexible, chase the conditions & partners around Europe. Or book stuff in advance and it'll be cheaper, but risk the weather.

Edit, just saw your cold comment - NZ and Oz it is then.
Post edited at 10:42
OP snoop6060 17 Aug 2015
In reply to summo:

I hadn't considered NZ to be honest, but many friends have told me I would absolutely love the place. I am not much of a skier, but am I keen on a bit of mountain biking, the more gravity assisted the better.

Budget is not my main concern, I won't get this chance again, so am prepared to make the most of it.
 heleno 17 Aug 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

If you're heading down under have you thought about Tasmania? If you don't want alpine the climbing is prob better than NZ, and cooler than mainland Oz which will be sweltering in Jan. As for "world class" the Totem Pole would take some beating if you're in that grade range (Oz 26)
 rpc 17 Aug 2015
In reply to summo:

Went to Valle Cochamo in Chile last January (late Jan-early Feb) and enjoyed it. Long (10 & up pitches) granite trad. Easy logistics. No snow, though some rain. Combined it with a week-long visit to Frey just across the border in Argentina (alpine cragging). Also, Oman has some great (long) limestone climbing. Wadi Rum in Jordan was excellent as well though I'd do that at the tail end of your vacation (mid Feb. was a bit on/off weatherwise). Tasmania is probably at its prime in Dec.-Feb. while the mainland is baking. El Potrero Chico in Mexico is a fun climbing vacation - well bolted, long limestone routes, cheap tequila & living. Plenty of other places in Mexico. Thailand is dry that time of year also.
OP snoop6060 17 Aug 2015
In reply to heleno:

No, not considered Tasmania, exactly the sort of suggestion I was after. Will take a look, cheers.

In reply to rpc:

> fun climbing vacation - well bolted, long limestone routes, cheap tequila & living.

Sounds right up my street, think they are my 2 favourite things .
 Trangia 17 Aug 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Western Cape - South Africa.

Perfect rock, perfect weather and loads to do and see

http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Western_Cape
OP snoop6060 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Cool, cheers.

We have so far...

Arapiles, Tasmania, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Jordon, South Africa, Spain...

Anyone for anymore? To be fair that list sounds like a lot of fun, shame I cannot go to all of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...