UKC

Snell Sports equivalent in Zermatt??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian84 21 Aug 2015
Hi All,

I will be in Zermatt next week for the first time.

Having been well and truly wooed by Snell Sports in Chamonix, I was wondering if there was the equivalent in Zermatt (every bit of gear known to man at very good prices).

It looks like my first few days will be fairly poor on the weather front so if there is an opportunity to stock up a bit before getting out later in the week, that would be good. All the research I have done so far has turned up a lot of ski rental places and cheap looking websites.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks.
 smithaldo 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Ian84:

There is a good shop with a dynafit bit downstairs on the main street, but it is ridiculously expensive given the exchange rates.
 jon 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Ian84:

> I was wondering if there was the equivalent in Zermatt (every bit of gear known to man at very good prices).

In Zermatt? You have to be kidding. The main sports shop is Bayer Sport in the main street and is probably the one smithaldo is referring to. Buy everything you want before you get there.

Simon4 22 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

> Buy everything you want before you get there.

Including as much food as you can carry, buy it in France or to a lesser extent in Italy.
 Simon4 22 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

> In Zermatt?

Horrible place isn't it? A long time ago it was probably a charming Swiss village, just as Tasch used to be before it was converted into a hideous collection of expensive car parks.

The 2 valleys either side, the Saas valley and the Zinal valley are MUCH nicer, though still cursed with Swiss prices.

jon 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> cursed with Swiss prices.

Swiss prices... and now the incredibly strong franc. In the last few years the franc was fixed against the euro at 1.20CFH = 1€. Then a year or so back they abandoned that and it's been more or less 1CHF = 1€ and now even worse - last week Hilary bought 970CHF and it cost her 1007€!
 Simon4 22 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Bloody ell, I thought they were taking the mick at 1:1. Which was mostly before it had actually got to 1:1 on the currency markets.

Those last 4000m peaks could prove expensive, if things don't change.
OP Ian84 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Ian84:

Thanks for the advice. Shopping will likely wait until Chamonix next week then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...