UKC

Where would / do you live in Southern Spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
myrockface 23 Aug 2015

Hi UKclimbers,
I'm looking to move to Southern Spain next year and am wondering where people would recommend the most. Am taking a trip to scout it out in October and hoping to move next spring. I'm looking for a vibrant town with tourism related work opportunities, friendly community, an international crowd, and some decent climbing that's easily accessible for half days off.
Top of my list so far is Costa Blanca around Javea / Xabia area. Any climbers living out there with opinions on moving would love to hear from you, and am open to suggestions from Fuengirola to Granada to Valencia and Madrid.

I'm into my adventurous multipitch routes, i do love cragging but need to be near some decent trails and decent size cliffs / ridgelines too.

Thanks! Jon
Post edited at 16:51
 Indy 23 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:

Benidorm :|

Plenty of year round tourism everyone speaks english and if you get home sick you can get a pint and a fry-up.... what's not to like
RockShock 24 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:

I would second the advice on Costa Blanca, as this is the place where you get most international tourism and you are reasonably close to varied climbing (I'd recommend Alicante rather than Benidorm though... I find it nicer...).

However, this is based purely on my observations when going there. When it comes to a first hand experience, I can tell you that there's surprisingly loads of quality climbing around Madrid (where I live):
- an hour away you have Pedriza, which is top class slab climbing with 1000s of routes varying from adventureous to sport)
- an hour away you have Patones, the local venue for finger-destroying limestone sport climbing
- 1.5h away in car you have Cuenca, which is top class sports destination
- 2h away you have Sierra de Gredos with great winter ice climbing and for summer the famous Galayos area
- 1.5h away you have mountains that are snowed 4-5 months a year with possibilities of easy ski touring, alpinism etc

Now, that's about the free time. However, I am not sure about the job possibilities in Madrid, as I don't know what exactly you'd be looking for. I am guessing if you're looking to go into tourism business and international crowd, then probably indeed the coast is a better option - however, I would guess that the job opportunities are pretty seasonal over there...

HTH, a little bit at least!
RS
 Sam Mayfield 26 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:

Hi Jon

not sure if you know about our workaway programme for "oranges" more details on the website.

http://theorangehouse.co.uk/questions-answered/working-at-the-orange-house

You can come and stay with us from a min of 2 weeks and then scout the area and see what you think, we had an "orange" come to us in July and he now has a job and small house in the village and plans never to return to the UK lol

Regards Sam Orange House
myrockface 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

Hi Sam, thanks for the info on that. I've heard of the Orange House obviously but didn't know about the workaway programme, sounds great! This trip we're going to fit as much into 4weeks as possible but if we make the move to Costa Blanca at the end of next Spring like we plan to, then we'll definitely start off with some time at the Orange House to look for work and check out all the areas.
I imagine we'll come stay a few days at the end of October so maybe meet you then

Jon
 Trangia 26 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:

I used to own a property near Albox. Not a good centre for climbing, but loads of walking and very hot.

Wherever you go in Spain I would definitely recommend that you learn Spanish (if you don't speak it already). You will find it much easier to integrate and get on with the locals once they realise you've made the effort to speak their language.
 JJL 26 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:

Barcelona
 The New NickB 26 Aug 2015
In reply to JJL:

> Barcelona

I've got to admit, when I saw the OP, I thought, surely the north is more appealing.
 Sam Mayfield 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

no worries Jon come and say hi!

We are booked solid end October I think from memory, I think the UK crap summer has made us busier than normal this winter season.

Good luck whatever you decide and end up!

Sam x
 DWS gibraltar 27 Aug 2015
In reply to myrockface:
If you want to work , Gibraltar is a good option .Finding work in Spain would be difficult given the high unemplment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...