UKC

via Ferrata Val de Fassa area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
j99 01 Sep 2015
Hi, I am visiting the Dolomites next week and hoping to do some via ferrata. Part of the time will spent at Canazai. My friend has never done via ferrata before and I have not been to this particular bit of the Dolomites so have no previous knowledge of what would be suitable. I was wondering if anyone could recommend via ferrata in the area that would give a good day out on the mountains but would not be too much for someone new to via ferrata. The emphasis would be on a good mountain day. I looked at the Massimiliano (Maximillian way) which is a grade 2 but then it talks about unprotected down climbs which would be less suitable. We are in Cortina for a few days before so hopefully we can do something I have already done there so I will know what's coming but Canazai is a new area for me. Thanks for any help. If anyone has any mountain walk recommendations that would be good too in case the via ferrata thing doesn't work out. Thanks for any help.
 Toerag 01 Sep 2015
In reply to j99:

That's where I went on my first VF trip - Did scalette path up to Antermoia then Vf Kesselkogel one day, and the Rosengarten ridge another. No problems with either, took the Paolina chair up for the latter, and parked illegally at the Gardeccia hut for the former. They did send me a parking ticket for that, so that's not recommended.
 beardy mike 01 Sep 2015
In reply to j99:

I would say the Massimiliano is a bad one for a beginner - there are long unprotected sections which are extremely airy. For starters there is a route which you can do pretty much straight off the lift up from Campitello which has a very short walk in and the route its self is not particularly long - Col Rodella.

On the other side of the Cantenaccio going up from the Rosengarten there is the Santnerpass route from Rifugio di Fronza which is absolutely spectacular and airy but easy - a bit like a Crib Goch on steroids. It takes you high up into the mountains with a quite long descent. The logistics are a little tricky though as you return to the other side of the mountain - a taxi to the bottom of the cable car to Rifugio di fronza from Pozza di Fassa could work.

There's also the VF degli Finanziari which leaves from Alba on the cable car - it is a bit harder and exposed on some sections but it is a great day out with a proper peak.
 Jenny C 01 Sep 2015
In reply to j99:

How much climbing/scrambling/walking experience does your friend have?

My personal feeling is that 1's are easy (hardly need protection)
Grade 2's are easy climbing but usually have unprotected (often exposed, loose scree) walking sections between the cables, which I find makes them mentally tiring.
Grade 3's are my limit of climbing ability. Mostly fun with the occasional scary bit, usually enough sustained rock though that you are on a near continuous wire.

Col Rodela (grade 3) is a good intro if your friend has climbing/scrambling experience, it's a very short route with no exposure on the approach and descent. Minimal walk in, lots of exposure on the cabled sections with good protection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...