UKC

Tech friend trigger wire replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malteserEd 01 Sep 2015
I have a Tech friend (last generation before being replaced by Heliums) whose trigger wires were badly frayed. I tried to source triger wire repair kits from Wild Country, but after emailing them regards availability I was told that they are not making them any more.

I had found some pointers and other forum threads about rewiring the cams with strimmer wire or fishing line etc... Just thought I'd put this post up to document what I've done for anyone else who needs. Have so far been climbing on this rewired cam for about a month with no worries.

I used 1.3mm strimmer wire from Wilko http://www.wilko.com/power-tools/wilko-strimmer-line-white-13mmx20m/invt/01... Any thicker and it won't go through the holes in the cams.

The original trigger wires are held captive in the trigger bar by a plug which securely keeps the wires attached to the trigger bar. I found this to be the hardest bit in the whole process. The plugs seem to be glued in and need quite a bit of force to push them out. I used a small clamp to exert enough pressure (think like a bike chain breaker) - they need to be forced out from the cam side.

The solid wires which attach to the cam lobes are easily snipped with a pair of pliers, and the whole assembly removed. Next cut out a length of strimmer wire enough to go from the trigger bar to the cam (twice) and then plenty of tail. Thread through the hole in the plug and centre on the wire. Rethread both ends of the strimmer wire through the hole in the trigger bar and push down on the plug. It clicks in quite securely and I guess because of extra thickness of strimmer wire (tighter fit) doesn't need to be glued. Thread the ends through the cam lobes and tie a knot after adjusting for the correct length. This is a bit of a fiddly bit to get right. Plus when tightening the knot you get some extra length so allow for that.

Trim the ends of the knot and with a flame lightly melt the ends. This forms a secure knot. I tried to completely melt the knot, but found that the strimmer wire would just melt trough.

Et voila.
 petegunn 01 Sep 2015
In reply to malteserEd:

I've found no need for a knot, just hot knife the ends down to form a plug. Most holes in the cams are counter sunk so the melting of the strimmer wire forms a good plug without the need for a knot.
 Ann S 01 Sep 2015
In reply to malteserEd:
Here is Chris Tan's photoshots of his procedure.

http://www.kakibusok.plus.com/Equipment/RewireCams1/Rewire1.htm
Post edited at 19:01
 Mehmet Karatay 04 Sep 2015
In reply to malteserEd:

Thanks a lot for starting this thread. It's just what I was looking for.

Mehmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...