UKC

Cortina Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 02 Sep 2015
Has anyone been out to Cortina recently? I am heading out at the weekend for a few weeks on the Via Ferrata and some mountain biking, and was wondering what the conditions are like on some of the higher VF routes? Is there much snow up high currently, enough to need crampons?

I am planning to camp so would prefer not to carry extra kit that I don't need. Preferable I wasn't going to bring big boots or crampons, but if theres lots of snow I will take them.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 02 Sep 2015
In reply to echo34:

There hasn't really been any snow of note in the Dollies this summer. However we're currently getting a bit of snow over 2800m (the weather has taken a turn for the worse). It hopefully won't stay long after the weekend when the weather is due to improve though. Keep an eye on the forecast: http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
 d_b 06 Sep 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

Did the weather crap out early/mid week there too? I was over in the Julians last week - scorching hot until tuesday, then an electrical storm off to the west tuesday night and the ming came in big style Wednesday.

My guess was that the dolomites were what was getting hit on Tuesday but I tend to give up internet on holiday so had no way to check.
 PPP 06 Sep 2015
In reply to echo34:

We haven't seen any snow all the way up to 3000m height anywhere in Dolomites. There was quite a big snow cave in very sheltered corner on the descent from Brigata Tridentina (VF) (VF3B) though.
 Somerville 06 Sep 2015
In reply to echo34:

its about to get realy good. actually saw some snow up on kromplatz today
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 07 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yer briefly took a turn for the worse. It's coming good again now though and the smattering of snow looked very dramatic on the peaks
kenr99 12 Sep 2015

Snowed down to 2000 meters during Thursday night 10 Sept.
Day before I climbed Civetta (with significant snow near the 3200m summit already).

My guess is that we're done with high N-facing routes for a while.

Maybe S-facing will come into condition after a few days of warm sunny weather?

Ken
Post edited at 20:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...