UKC

Camping in Dubai

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kassius 03 Sep 2015
Hi folks
I'm going on a business trip to Dubai in January and I'm going a few days earlier to see some of the wilds. I would like to camp. Does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere accessible via public transport within a few hours of the airport which is a suitable location with food/water and something to see.
 Sayon 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Kassius:

Food and water are going to be tricky, but if you are prepared to carry a short distance to the camp you should be OK. I have worked in Ras al Khaimah, taking groups into the mountain wadis, and i think this would be the easiest to get to from Dubai.
Dubai airport- metro to Union Square- bus to Ras al Khaimah. From bus station, taxi to mouthof one of the wadis via a supermarket. Ifyou want a feeling of remoteness, but accessible, I would recommend wadi Naqqab, which is the next big wadi S of Wadi Bih, heading east into the mountains. A taxi will take you to the end of the tarmac, a dirt road continues in for a few km into increasingly wild, narrow gorge. There are settlements for the first few km, with the chance of a lift and probably very generous offers of hospitality.
You can find plenty of places to camp, lots of ancient trails, and either retrace your steps or head S to Tawiyan for a real adventure. Alternatively, bus to Tawiyan (on way to Dibba), once there, follow new road and drop into the gorge (good cragging here) and walk along this- not as good as Naqqab, but interesting.
People are super friendly, and will be fascinated by you wanting to backpack. Have fun, the weather in January (assuming no rain) will be perfect.
OP Kassius 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Sayon:

Thank you sir that's exactly what I was looking for after looking into hiring a car it turns out it ridiculously cheap for a few days so think I'm gonna do that and head for naqqab.

Kind regards
Mark
 Sayon 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Kassius:

Even easier with a car! Also worth checking out- the mountain top road which branches L of wadi Bih - there is a near-road (20 mins) campsite at a broad hairpin called Trident- look out for the small fields on your L across a small gully. Worth half a day walking around here. also, with a car, Wadi Ghalilah is very worthwhile, in the far north of Ras al Khaimah. The road up to the Omani border is interesting, feeling more like India than the Emirates, complete with cows wandering the streets. If the car insurance allows it, driving over the border and up the superb coast road to Khasab in Mussandam is another brilliant trip.
OP Kassius 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Sayon:

Thanks again while you're in the mood would you mind answering a few more questions

Will I need a 4x4 or can I get away with a little put put if I don't mind a walkin

Does a satnav recognise these places or should I work of maps

What supermarkets should I use

Is there a toll on the roads to naqqab

Again many thanks for all your help you have been a wealth of info and I really appreciate it

Billhook 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Kassius:

4 X 4?

Camels what you want for a 'real' experience. Mr Gryills spent a night in one too so you won't need the tent either.
OP Kassius 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Just need a Barrack Obama and I'll have myself a TV show
 Sayon 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Kassius:

A 4x4 would be great but not needed if you plan to trek. I dont think a satnav will recognise Naqqab- there is a huge quarry road on the L at the entrance- but Khasab, Ghalilah etc should be recognised. no tolls anywhere, supermarkets- take your pick, shopping is a national sport in the UAE. a short diversion into central RAK takes you to a couple of huge shopping centres even selling outdoor And camping gear.
As long as you find the entrance to the wadis you will be fine, have a great time!
In reply to Sayon:

I thought littering in beauty spots was the national sport in the UAE - at least it was in the late 90's!
With a little bit of care you can get a 2WD close to many good camping sports. Many of the tracks I used to be able to get a little Hyundai Accent along are now well surfaced roads.
OP Kassius 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Kassius:

Thanks guys I head out on the 12th and have to be in Dubai for my meetings on the 17thgave myself plenty of time too thrash the knackers of my little 2wd put-put.
In reply to Kassius:

Watch out for speed cameras - barstewards have got them everywhere - and often in quite sneaky locations. It's the mobile ones you have to be wary of.

I ended up with a speeding ticket or two when I worked there -- generally didn't show up until the company 4WD I had was due for its annual registration. My boss told me that he's be deducting the fines from my salary. I asked him to see the tickets - and on checking the dates, I told the boss to get my passport out of the safe. When he asked my why, I told him that the exist and re-entry stamps would show I was on leave in the UK when the offences took place. Sneaky bugger had only borrowed my truck when I was away and was trying to palm his speeding tickets off on to me. He never tried that one again. Oh the joys of being the only western employee in an Asian owned company.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...