UKC

Brukit Vs Pocket Rocket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 07 Sep 2015
As the title says really...

For use on multi-day mountain trips, I have a PR and it serves me well but everyone else seems to have a Brukit/Jetboil. So what are the advantages of either choice?

Thanks, Tony
 climbwhenready 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Jetboils are faster and more convenient (as long as you only want hot water derivatives)
Pocket Rockets are lighter

Not sure there's much else to it?
In reply to climbwhenready:

Hmmm yeah that's what I thought. But also the cost, especially of a Jetboil. Another reason for the PR for me is the space saving over a brukit.

Why do SO many people have speed boilers then? (Not specifically aimed at you CWR)
 HeMa 07 Sep 2015

> Another reason for the PR for me is the space saving over a brukit.

Really, as burner & gas will fit inside the Brukit. So you must have a really tiny kettle then?

That said, for the question:
> Why do SO many people have speed boilers then?

The answer is that Jetboil&alike are rather handy plus being more efficient, the small cartridge might be enough for a brew or two longer than with normal burners. So you end up carrying less fuel.
In reply to HeMa:

> Really, as burner & gas will fit inside the Brukit. So you must have a really tiny kettle then?
I have a titanium pan that houses the gas canister and wind shield, and the stove sits in its little red box with the lighter. So I guess overall space used would be similar in each choice, although the Jetboil does seem much bigger.

> The answer is that Jetboil&alike are rather handy plus being more efficient, the small cartridge might be enough for a brew or two longer than with normal burners. So you end up carrying less fuel.
Good point, I guess the space saved on using a smaller canister would just about balance the volume.

What about the weight, is the JB/BK heavier than the PR?
 HeMa 07 Sep 2015

> What about the weight, is the JB/BK heavier than the PR?

Without gas, and a really light (ti) pan, I think PR will be lighter.

But as stated, because JB is much more efficient, it'll prolly end up lighter overall with the gas.
 tjin 07 Sep 2015

Jetboil = more efficient, but more weight
Pocket rocket = less efficient, weight less

Jet boil = lighter when used for longer, due to fuel saving.
Pocket rocket = lighter on short trips.

Note; there are much lighter alternatives than the pocket rocket too. The BRS - 3000T Ultra weights 25 grams, tiny and is cheap, although made in China and takes forever to arrive (still waiting for mine after a month).
In reply to tjin:

I think I might be sold on the Brukit idea... it comes in at under 500g so not that much difference to my rocket.

Thanks guys and gals
 Mark Haward 07 Sep 2015

Personally, I use both but for different occasions / circumstances.
Other aspects of Jet boil nobody has mentioned:
- Works much better / more efficiently in windy conditions / outdoors imo
- Can be hand held whilst on - not recommended but I have held one whilst on a cramped bivvy in winter and also inside a tent
- Can be hung off gear on climbing bivvies if no ledge space
 Jenny C 07 Sep 2015

Own both a Jetboil and Pocket Rocket.

Jetboil is fantastic as a simple kettle/water boiler - quick, clean, stable and self contained. Absolutely love ours and wouldn't be without it/similar - however it mostly gets used from the car as a kettle rather than as a lightweight stove.

The pocket rocket is easier/better for cooking (and cleaning) if you want anything more than hot water. It's also much less stable and needs to be sheltered from the wind.
Gilad N 08 Sep 2015

I'll add that if you are trying to do any cooking in the average British hill day, rain and wind might be too much for the PR and the Brukit (I use the MSR Reactor) will be the only usable thing to boil water.

I use the PR for days that need very light gear (mountain run style) and the Reactor for pretty much everything else. The increase in efficiency becomes a real issue on longer trails in exposed areas.

I wrote a bit about the difference between the two as part of a coffee kit comparison:
http://www.outdoorsfather.com/2015/07/4-coffee-kits-that-every-outdoors-ent...

Might help
Gilad N 08 Sep 2015

I'll add that if you are trying to do any water boiling in the average British hill day, rain and wind might be too much for the PR and the Brukit (I use the MSR Reactor) will be the only usable thing to boil water.

I use the PR for days that need very light gear (mountain run style) and the Reactor for pretty much everything else. The increase in efficiency becomes a real issue on longer trails in exposed areas.

I wrote a bit about the difference between the two as part of a coffee kit comparison:
http://www.outdoorsfather.com/2015/07/4-coffee-kits-that-every-outdoors-ent...

Might help
Ysgo 14 Sep 2015

Check out the MSR Windboiler. Even more efficient than the Jetboil or Brukit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...