UKC

Charlie's Crag, Mallaig area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Baynes 09 Sep 2015
Visited this crag yesterday with my son Joe and climbed an excellent 200ft severe followed by a long enjoyable scramble to the summit of Druim Fiaclach. The description of the approach in Highland Outcrops is ok, though it omits crossing the rail line (small tunnel). However the grid reference is wildly out at 715 859, which is the next hill north-west, 2km away.
The correct reference would be about 734 848. Anyone else visited, encountered this anomaly? It's a great place with scope for development.
 Andy Nisbet 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Richard Baynes:

Yes, it's in the area I've written for Highland Outcrops. I got map reference NM 7317 8481. Did you climb Chockstone Arete at Hard Severe 4b *? Or have you a different opinion. Well done for finding it - took me a while.
 Andy Nisbet 09 Sep 2015

By the way, I haven't called it Charlie's Crag. The wrong map ref would be fine for that name but for the new one, it would be very misleading.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
Yep you done a new guide? Mine prob 20 years old, your GR is about right, you'd certainly find it off that. Is there a Charlie's crag at the other GR then? Chockstone arete, yes, really nice, will go back, maybe explore a bit.
Joe thought a bit easy for severe and I certainly wouldn't give it hard. Climbed behind the chockstone it was technically 4a and just needed some canny ropework.
Post edited at 16:26
 Andy Nisbet 09 Sep 2015

> Yep you done a new guide? Mine prob 20 years old, your GR is about right, you'd certainly find it off that. Is there a Charlie's crag at the other GR then? Chockstone arete, yes, really nice, will go back, maybe explore a bit.

It's just that the other reference is near Charlie's Cairn (or some other Charlie feature) and I presume I was called after that and when looking wrongly at the map. So it might encourage others to look wrongly at the map.

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hmm the crag is prob nearer charlie's cairn than the other location. Will consult your new guide (!?) ... Anyway a new name is better than further commemoration of a rogue who led a lot of good men to their doom!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...