UKC

Crags in Belgium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jungle 09 Sep 2015
August next year me and the missus are planning a mini road trip en route to the Spa Grand Prix in Belgium.

Can anyone recommend any crags or guidebooks for Belgium?

Cheers,
James
 Marq 09 Sep 2015
In reply to jungle:

A collection of nice limestone sport climbing crags around the small town of Dinant in the Ardennes. Freyr is the biggest and multi-pitch but the easier routes are polished. However, the Pont a Lesse Pont-à-Lesse and Yvoir Rochers du Paradou (Yvoir) areas have single or two pitch routes. Note that some of the route lengths at Yvoir are getting on for 30m so be careful when lowering depending on what rope you take.

Guidebooks available locally, not sure you can get them online anywhere.

Marq
 nniff 09 Sep 2015
In reply to jungle:

Freyr is the big crag and very well-known - near Dinant as above. IMHO, it used to be better when it wasn't fully bolted, but that's going back many years. Well worth a visit. Clib Alpin Belge hut and camping at the top.

Nideggen is just over the border into Germany, but if you want something completely different it's thoroughly entertaining - sort of conglomerate with pebbles. the question is - which pebble has the hold behind it? Chalk spoils that instantly
 Martin Bennett 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Marq:

I've just been through The Ardennes and stopped off for a route at Freyr I can confirm it's slipperiness on the trade routes, it makes Stoney Middleton seem like granite!! But it's still a lovely place to climb on multipitch routes above the river. We camped at Pont a Lesse and could see the little sport crags from across the river - looks OK. There's a climb/canoe/hike type operator at the campsite who'll provide topos for it. For Freyr I was lucky as I got a loan of the long out of print Cicerone guide book "Selected Rock Climbs in Belgium and Luxembourg". You should find one on Amazon or Abebooks though. Have a great trip.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Freyr has a local guidebook, we got it from the tourist information place in Dinant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...