UKC

lancashire 1 night away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 09 Sep 2015
Got a night away with my partner (none of our kids etc) and was thinking Lancashire somewhere. Requirements....decent place to stay, village or rural location, good beer and food! Any suggestions? Cheers
 BnB 09 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

The Inn at Whitwell. Gorgeous views of Bowland from the bar, glorious food and wonderful walks in the Trough.
 mark catcher 09 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966: Second vote for the Whitewell, or the Assheton Arms at Downham.

In reply to abr1966:

Can't argue with Whitewell though worth checking out Ribchester arms which has belting beer and sausages and 10 mins away from Craig y Longridge.
 radddogg 09 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

Stay at the Derby Arms or Corporation Arms on the outskirts of Longridge. Have a quick session at Craig y Longridge then head out to the Trough of Bowland as BnB suggests.

Oh and at some point find your way to www.wallingsfarm.co.uk for the best ice cream sundae of your life.

Or a walk up Rivington Pike followed by Afternoon Tea at www.rivingtonhallbarn.co.uk
 Ann S 09 Sep 2015
 Tyler 09 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

Second all the suggestions for Trough of Bowland. Dunlop Bridge, Downham and Waddington are all lovely villages and you could do worse than just drive around them. Inn at Whitewell is deserving of its rep (not that I've stayed) and Mitton Hall looks nice. On the other hand there is Blackpool
Wiley Coyote2 09 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

One night in Lancs? Pull up at side of road and ask nearest local: 'Scuse me, mate. Which way to Yorkshire?'
 radddogg 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

> Dunlop Bridge

You could also try Dunsop Bridge
 radddogg 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

> Downham

That's the one near Witches' Quarry right? I heard there are restrictions on sky dishes and tv aerials as they would affect the natural beauty of the village so its where the period dramas record their atmospheric shots
 mark catcher 10 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966: Yep, no overhead cables, aerials etc at all in the village. Well worth a walk over from Downham to the refurbed Barley Mow too.

radddogg 10 Sep 2015
In reply to mark catcher:

Yeah and while you're there its worth checking out Witches Quarry as its an old quarry, quarried with traditional methods and with also being Limestone it has an almost natural feel to it. Some of the lines up the main wall are very rewarding.
OP abr1966 10 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Thanks everyone for the replies....much appreciated!
J1234 10 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

The Inn at Whitewell is one of my favourite places, but to be honest I doubt you would get the best of it stopping for one night. Try the Calfs Head at Worston they usually do a special deal £99ish DBB and its a decent spot for Pendle and the Trough and if it rains Clit Hero and IMHO has one of the best Beer gardens around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...