UKC

Tough ascent on Liathach: the heat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 10 Sep 2015
Was up Tuesday grabbing the beautiful weather (thanks to a flexible boss). I drove up Tuesday morning from Glasgow, up a busy A9 so it took about 5.5 hrs.

I found the ascent up to be, based on what memories I have retained of other hill ascents, to be the most knackering yet. I even thought I might not make it up to the ridge.

WTF was up with me? I had ascended Ben Vane on the Sunday (over 5 km distance and 860m ascent. Blustery weather with cloud cover until the descent) in less than two hours without any difficulty and thought that might serve to get my system in order. Maybe it took something out instead? Maybe it was the long drive and lack of food eaten that morning (1 bar and, just before starting the walk, half a cheese sandwich) or the heat (no wind or shade). Maybe all elements combined? Whatever, I was surprised at the difficulty, and on a constructed path no less. I think my muscles respond better to slighly cold conditions. Maybe climbing (walking) in the heat is just not my thing?
 d_b 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Almost certainly the heat. Heat stress can make any hill absolutely brutal.
 Doug 10 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

The heat ? in Scotland in September ? or there another Liathach somewhere in Spain?

(jealous you got out while I've been stuck in an office)
 BnB 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Did you take the way up on the western or eastern ends of the towering front? I find both a slog and the former is particularly draining so don't be hard on yourself.
 Mark Bull 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:
Sometimes I just have an off day for no apparent reason. Couple of weeks ago I had a shocker of a day climbing - no finger strength at all. The following week I was fine. Sometimes when this happens I come down with a cold a day or two later, so I suspect low-level viral infection may be the cause. I can also take a day or two to adapt to suddenly hotter conditions.
Post edited at 11:20
 Welsh Kate 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

So you had a long drive from Glasgow, hadn't eaten properly that morning, and struggled up the hill on a warm day. You were probably tired and under-fuelled.
OP Flinticus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to BnB:

The eastern end. Looking at a rough route plot on viewranger its about a 1:2 gradient. Don't know why Beinn Sgritheall often gets labelled the steepest, especially as the path up is about 1:2.6.

I had to call on the inner drill sergeant. I didn't want to be no pussy!
OP Flinticus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Doug:

That's all the incentive I need to post a pic!

Anyway, now back in the office.
drmarten 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I think all the reasons are summed up by Kate, but as Mark Bull says sometimes you just have an off day with perhaps an underlying minor bug that normally you wouldn't notice but which comes to the fore when there's a bit of strenuous effort. I was up there recently but came from the north and traversed west to east and down your ascent route - it isn't very kind on the shock absorbers but the western descent isn't any better from what I remember.
I hope that once you were up on the ridge you enjoyed the rest of the day.
 BnB 10 Sep 2015
In reply to drmarten:
It's a pity that the best descent (by several miles in both senses of the word) is to the west beyond Torridon village for a gentle gradient and wonderful evening-sunlit sea views, however the best traverse (taking all the hardest moves in ascent) is west to east. The only answer is to perform the gentle ascent/descent and traverse in both directions!!
Post edited at 16:01
drmarten 10 Sep 2015
In reply to BnB:

I've never done it that way, I've always returned to the car at the eastern end. I like the idea of descending down to the west with a good sunset on show.
OP Flinticus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to BnB:

Looking at the ridge from Beinn na h-Eaglaise the next day, I was thinking that, but you then have a long walk back, unless you've got two cars or get lucky with a hitch (not always reliable depedning on time of day or year).

BTW Beinn na h-Eaglaise the next day? Fine, no issues, and I took it leisurely, wandering about, and came down the SE ridge towards Lochan Domhain. Lots of rock terraces and interesting features. That hill has a fairly imposing NE face!
In reply to Flinticus:
There's nothing wrong with you. I've done that walk in on Liatach twice in glorious weather and it was absolute sheer hell both times. The traverse of the pinnacles makes it all worthwhile though.
Post edited at 23:33
OP Flinticus 12 Sep 2015
That's good to know! Yeah, ridge worth it. Had it all to myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...