UKC

Moving with Speed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 11 Sep 2015
This might seem like a ridiculous posting, but I would like to hear others opinions.

How do you speed up in the mountains? As I have gotten older I seem to 'run on empty', i.e. there is nothing left in the tank, I simply cannot make myself go any faster in the mountains.

It has not stopped me having an amazing season, but my lack of speed is going to restrict the future climbs I choose and possibly the partners I climb with.

Is there a solution?
 jon 11 Sep 2015
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

> It has not stopped me having an amazing season

Tell us more...

Rick Graham 11 Sep 2015

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7096

This article and resulting posts covered it quite well.

As far as age goes, I find pacing essential, unfortunately not something I was/ am ever good at.
There was a really good article in an old FRCC journal about how starting at the correct (slow ) pace was critical to stamina on long day (s) out.

You say " run on empty ", hows your weight?
 CurlyStevo 11 Sep 2015

how old are you?
 jon 11 Sep 2015

You don't go faster by going faster, you go faster by going (a little) slower.
 ChrisBrooke 11 Sep 2015

Sounds daft, but are you taking in enough calories during the day? Do you have a big breakfast, then eat when you feel hungry (probably too late), or do you keep snacking on calorific foods every 45mins or so? Do you mix some energy powder into your water bottle/platypus? We all know that feeling of 'running on empty' but it's amazing what a nice big flapjack can do for that
 summo 11 Sep 2015
Carry less on your back, you can't pack experience as the saying goes.

Frequency, train a little midweek, rather than blow outs at weekends. Pacing, sweat management, decent food, sleep and hydration the night before etc.. Personally unless it's a big day, 10hrs plus, I don't tend to eat much, other than a few snacks during the day, but I'll always have a litres of water with me. You are working aerobically generally, or very close to the threshold, so if you are hydrate etc. there is no reason why your body can't convert energy itself, you should not need large amounts of calories on the hill. Better to consume pretty quick after to aid recovery.

Take the sky cycling team approach. They target every area of their athletes, even if each one individually might only yield a 0.5% improvement in performance.

Post edited at 12:43
 MG 11 Sep 2015

Are we talking classic alpine stuff here? Unless you chasing Steck or are really unfit, actual speed probably isn't the issue - most groups actually walk/scramble within a fairly narrow ranges of speeds, its the stopping that is the problem

- Faff less - every one minute stopped equals 5 vertical metres
- Steady pace you can keep up
In reply to MG:
Yes ,we are talking big alpine stuff, long days 12 hours. I am still slow compared to the partners I have been out with, on ridges and above 3,500 metres on snow. I am not overweight and am over forty. Unsure just what more I can do, I simply cant push myself any more. I train alone, cycling, walking. I'm afraid my knees are too weak to run. I go light.
Dont tend to have an appetite in early morning for alpine starts. Perhaps need to drink more, generally only take on one litre of water.Havnt used energy supplements much.
Is it simply the case of age taking its toll?
Post edited at 15:47
 Bob 11 Sep 2015

How old are your partners? As you get older you need to do more just to stand still as it were.

Unless it is a problem for your partners, or more importantly for your and their safety, then it isn't really a problem.
 MG 11 Sep 2015

As Bob asked, does it actually matter? You can do most classic routes in 12 hours, even fairly sedately.

I am a little younger than you and don't think I am yet slower than 20 years ago, but will let you know if it is fact an age thing in a few years!!
In reply to Bob:

My partners are always younger, but I am wiser.lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...