UKC

Route names/grades updated automatically in forum posts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pacman 11 Sep 2015
Having just had another look at the thread about 'safe' E4s in Yorkshire I was surprised to see that my post (Fri 13:00) included UKC database crag and route links, complete with grades which I had not written.

I only actually typed in a grade for one of the routes I mentioned. That was the steep one on grit with a star for each move, which I typed up as "(E3/4)", to let the OP of that thread know that I agreed with a comment someone else had made about it being soft E4.

Does this happen to everyone's posts automatically? I didn't deliberately put any links there and a quick glance at user options doesn't offer any clues.

Have I missed something or does this mean that route grades given in other posts are getting changed as well?
 Simon Caldwell 11 Sep 2015
In reply to pacman:

If you use the 'insert climb link' option when posting, it automatically shows the grade from the logbooks. It seems to be dynamic, ie it shows the current grade rather than the grade at posting time.
OP pacman 12 Sep 2015
test post one...

Grand Illusion (E3/4)
OP pacman 12 Sep 2015
test post two...

Grand Illusion (E3/4)
OP pacman 12 Sep 2015
test post three...

Grand Illusion (E3/4) Grand Illusion (E4 5c)
OP pacman 12 Sep 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks Simon.

I didn't put links in like that yesterday. I didn't know anything about them and if I had I wouldn't have bothered anyway.

Wonder why the links were done automatically and why the grade I gave got overwritten?
 Simon Caldwell 12 Sep 2015
In reply to pacman:

maybe there's some clever bit of code that detects route names in a post and replaces them with a link?
In reply to pacman:

Hi Pacman,

I'm sorry your grade text was overwritten, I see your point about highlighting the soft touch. Forum moderators can't change the contents of posts with the exception of the 1st post and the ability to add Logbook links into them.

I was browsing the thread and found it rather frustrating having to go off and search for all the climbs mentioned so I couldn't have been the only one. Having the links there to go straight to the climb/crag page is a great help and it's pretty easy to do in the post reply window.

Cheers, Paul.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...