UKC

Arapiles with a campervan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alastair R 15 Sep 2015
Hi,
I am planning a trip to Arapiles in Oz for early November and am looking for some beta. My wife and I are planning on renting a campervan. On the web, it looks like The Pines campsite is predominantly tents? Does anyone know if it is possible to stay there with a van instead?
Many thanks in advance,
Alastair
 Ban1 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:
I didn't camp I stayed at natimuk inn but when we were living in our van the law was on your side if you have a waste contained vehicle. All the campsite are really basic but are on the doorstep of the climbs. My wife remembers people camping in there cars at the popular campsites
Post edited at 22:06
 climber34neil 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:

There were certainly vans in the pines when I went, whether that has changed now or restricted pitches I'm not sure. You could contact the climbing shop in natimuck to find out
 Martin Hore 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:

We parked our hired campervan at the site under the crags (I think that's The Pines) no problem in 2012.

Have a good trip.

Martin
 robin mueller 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:

Yeah, you'll be fine. I lived in my car there for a few months. Others had camper vans. No problem. Parking spots can get busy during weekends, but that's the only issue I can think of.

Regarding Ban1's point, The Pines campsite has toilet blocks so no problem there. Might be an issue elsewhere in Australia, though nearby at the Grampians campsite it's not a problem either.
 dmca 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:
I've a feeling you're not meant to sleep in campervans, although there definitely were a couple of (smaller) vans in the carpark when I was there this year. I a vaguely remember people the people I chatted to saying they were sleeping in a tent next to their van but I could be making this up.
Post edited at 23:23
 Morgan Woods 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:

Quite a few vans there when I stayed this Easter. Camping has changed from a voluntary $2 per night to a compulsory $5 paid online per tent per night. This leaves vans in a bit of a grey area. Technically you could keep a low profile and change your parking spot now and then and not be required to pay a fee. The ranger does come around now and then but is quite nice about it, and is generally looking for people with tents who haven't paid.

If you want to make a more comfortable set up eg van + tarp + tent + slackline + couch + BBQ etc you may be quite happy to pay your $5 and be completely legit. There are toilets and tank water but you won't get a power hookup. November is a great time and probably not too busy so you should have your pick of sites at Pines, Upper Gums & Lower Gums.

FYI - the usual van companies for travellers are Juicy and Wicked campers.
 barney800 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Alastair R:

There were loads of people sleeping in vans last weekend. It does say "Tent only" on the Parks Victoria booking site but I would be surprised if you had any trouble. Maybe post on the Chockstone forum if you want to be sure.
 kylo-342 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Wicked campers has bad reputation -- do a search for reviews and you will see
 duchessofmalfi 16 Sep 2015
The pines and the gums are really one big campsite. I've not noticed anyone policing things but I'd take a cheap tent and camp as it is part of the charm of the place. People set up very comfy camps and it is quite social. As it says above expect longer term residents to set up house with sofas etc.

The climbing is as good as they say if not better - it also takes a lot of gear - I've never climbed with a bigger rack.
OP Alastair R 17 Sep 2015
In reply to everyone:
Many thanks guys, really helpful and much appreciated. Psyched!
In reply to Alastair R:

Hired from Cheapa Cheapa March this year (despite the dodgy-sounding name, they are merely the slightly older vans of Apollo Campervan Rental at a reduced rate) - have grown accustomed to my creature comforts in my 'advanced years' so camped at Natimuk Lake site, with hot showers every night, electric hook up and an open fire if you feel like it. The down side was a 10 minute drive every morning, significantly higher fees and less climber contact in the evenings (though there were only 7 or 8 tents at The Pines at the time). And while 'Lakeside Camping' sounds idyllic, there's been no water in the lake for almost 10 years!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...