UKC

advice for climbing near Grenoble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

can anyone give me some advice for some good sports climbing around Grenoble?

I live in near briancon and I am having to go to Grenoble for a MRI, as the road over the mountain is closed thinking of making a trip out of it and staying somewhere on the way back from grenoble and doing some climbing, will be coming back on the road from grenoble to gap so anything around that way would be great or if amazing climbing a few hours out our way?

we are looking for sport climbing nice to have routes up to 7b (but a bit injured hence the MRI and have good days and bad) so with a lot of route in the 6's and some in the 7 would be best

looking to stay in the van so anywhere where this is possible would also be good?

many thanks Rob
altirando 28 Sep 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Done the road Grenoble to Gap frequently - stay at Camping Dauphine - and the Vercors cliffs fill the western horizon for much of the way. Don't have any info on routes to offer but there must be some near your requirements. Big campsite at Gresse, and a delightful little restaurant in the village.
In reply to altirando:

hi thanks for the reply, I have borrowed the guidebook for Presles which looks amazing mainly multi pitch which normally would be great not sure with injury, also have a copy of escalades autour de grenoble, but this guide doesn't have a lot of info in, just looking for some nice recommendations or ones to avoid

cheers
 roddycun 28 Sep 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Used to live in Grenoble and climbed weekly in the surrounding crags albeit not quite to 7b. Presles is really good and a great location but as you say, much better for multi pitch.

Right around Grenoble itself my personal favourite is St. Pancrasse. 2 levels with about 8 different sectors cut into a small ledge looking over the gresivaudan. If you're there mid week you'll probably have the whole place to yourself.
Probably plenty of quiet places to park the car near St Hilaire.

Other good crags around Grenoble are Roche de Comboire, Le petit desert, saint egreve etc. These are right in the town but may be a bit easy for you with the exception of espace Comboire which has a wall of 7+s.

If driving back I'd go back via the vercors and you can take your pick of beautiful crags en route to la drome.

Let me know if you want any other info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...