UKC

Eiger 1962

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Alcock 02 Oct 2015
A query. Bonington and Clough overtook a badly equipped pair near the top. Clough's AJ report names them as Jenny and Hauser. There is a story that their ascent was suppressed pour n'encourager les autres. Does anyone know who they were?
 Bob 02 Oct 2015
In reply to David Alcock:

A quick look at The White Spider gives the following: "There were other ropes on that part of the face during those days; they were Werner Hausheer and Paul Jenny, making the thirty second ascent while Robert Bogli and Willy Motter were making sure of the thirty third. Not one of those four Swiss, nor anyone else saw a sign of Carruthers and Moderegger. They must have fallen off on August 30th"

Egon Moderegger was Austrian while Tom Carruthers was from Glasgow. Neither apparently spoke the other's language. Carruthers had partnered Brian Nally on the North Face of the Matterhorn. They started at the same time as Bonington and Clough but couldn't keep up with that team's pace.
OP David Alcock 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

Hey thanks. I'm away from home and couldn't look at Harrer.
OP David Alcock 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

I don't suppose anyone knows what came of them?
 Co1in H 03 Oct 2015
In reply to David Alcock:

Hausheer and Jenny topped out on the 31/8/62. No idea what they did after and all the info I have suggests that they are still alive.
Carruthers and Moderegger fell to their deaths from the second icefield on the 30/8/62.
OP David Alcock 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Co1in H:

Yes, it is Hausheer and Jenny I'm interested in. Knew about the others since the early 80s. (I was a climbing spod kid.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...