UKC

Kalymnos new guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 07 Oct 2015
Going to Kalymnos on 17th Oct and don't have a guidebook yet? The new edition is almost due for publication but we might be just too early to get it. I can get an older version here for around £33 now and log on to get route updates. Anyone got an old second hand one up for sale? Any advice welcome. Thanks.
 Mike Highbury 07 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:
> Going to Kalymnos on 17th Oct and don't have a guidebook yet? The new edition is almost due for publication but we might be just too early to get it. I can get an older version here for around £33 now and log on to get route updates. Anyone got an old second hand one up for sale? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

The new one has been published and available throughout the island, no?

Why no go all modern and get the topo? http://thesend.co.uk/kalymnos-rock-climbing-topo/
Post edited at 09:44
OP gilliesp 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

I emailed island shops and they didn't get back. I read it wasn't in shops yet but maybe that's wrong - checked with Cotswolds last week. Haven't seen it in our shops yet but will check.

I was planning on the App anyway but would rather have the book as well...just an old dog/new trick thing.
OP gilliesp 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Just read this

[UPDATE: The new guidebook is now available at many points of sale in Masouri, Kalymnos.]

Thanks
 andyb211 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Hi just got back from Kalymnos today and the new guide is in all the shops for 40e great idea buying the sends app tho as there are crags that have been in previous guides that are missed out in this one.
OP gilliesp 08 Oct 2015
In reply to andyb211:

Thanks Andy. Just bought the Sends App and ordered book for pickup on arrival. (best of both worlds!)

What is the refugee impact if any?

Did you need to hire a car?
 planetmarshall 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

> Thanks Andy. Just bought the Sends App and ordered book for pickup on arrival. (best of both worlds!)

I found the app lagging behind the new guide somewhat (Gerakios sectors missing, for example)

> What is the refugee impact if any?

If you stay in Masouri it is unlikely to impact you, some estimates put the number of Syrian migrants on Kalymnos at any one time at about 40-50.

> Did you need to hire a car?

Most hire scooters. If you are in a group a car would be more economical.

Šljiva 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:
I guarantee you won't see a single refugee on Kalymnos (or Kos) unless you deliberately go looking for them.
Post edited at 20:31
 Rich0777 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

The new Kalymnos guidebook is out and available in the UK… not Cotswold perhaps but many of the independent outdoor shops have ordered copies and they have been despatched out to them...
 climbingpixie 08 Oct 2015
In reply to andyb211:

Don't you get the app free if you buy the book? Mine has a little scratch off panel on the front, presumably to get a code.
In reply to Šljiva:

> I guarantee you won't see a single refugee on Kalymnos (or Kos) unless you deliberately go looking for them.

Well, I don't really see how you can make that guarantee, as there are refugees on Kalymnos whether you go looking for them or not. Two of my companions came across a group of about 70 who had hiked over the hills toward Skalia, losing some of their party in the process, and were being handled by the authorities.

That said, it is very unlikely to affect you in any way.
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

> The new Kalymnos guidebook is out and available in the UK… not Cotswold perhaps but many of the independent outdoor shops have ordered copies and they have been despatched out to them...

At current exchange rates you would be better off buying a copy in Kalymnos, and you will more directly benefit the local economy there.
 knighty 08 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

> Thanks Andy. Just bought the Sends App and ordered book for pickup on arrival. (best of both worlds!)

How do you order for pickup on arrival? This is a great idea!! Did you just leave a note on PayPal? Where do you pick it up from?

Thanks,
Knighty

Steve Golley KBF 08 Oct 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I found the app lagging behind the new guide somewhat (Gerakios sectors missing, for example)

They're in there, probably under 3 Ilots?

OP gilliesp 09 Oct 2015
In reply to knighty:

Just email them to keep you a copy although it sounds as if the've plenty on shelf. Pay in shop (Wild Sports)
 knighty 09 Oct 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Nice one. Thanks for the tip!
 planetmarshall 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Steve Golley KBF:

> They're in there, probably under 3 Ilots?

Ah yes, I didn't think to look under the sector headings. It's definitely not quite upto date with the new guide though (Chrystalline Cave at 6b I assume is Crystal Line (6a)), and some of the grades are questionable (You'd get a hell of a shock if you were expecting Thia Fotisi (6b) to be 5c)
 earlsdonwhu 09 Oct 2015
In reply to knighty:

There are stacks of new books available in the shops in Massouri now.
Steve Golley KBF 09 Oct 2015

> Ah yes, I didn't think to look under the sector headings.

Useful UI feedback that, thanks.

>It's definitely not quite upto date with the new guide though (Chrystalline Cave at 6b I assume is Crystal Line (6a)), and some of the grades are questionable (You'd get a hell of a shock if you were expecting Thia Fotisi (6b) to be 5c)

We're issuing an update at the moment to get the bulk of the newer stuff in. Interestingly for those two examples, we got the info from the FA. Thanks for the feedback though.
 Chris the Tall 09 Oct 2015

> (You'd get a hell of a shock if you were expecting Thia Fotisi (6b) to be 5c)

Would you ? Has changed much in 10 years ?
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Would you ? Has changed much in 10 years ?

Both the 2010 guide and the new one has it as 6a+, which I would concur with having climbed similar routes in the area at the same grade. Grading is always contentious, but if 5c it would be far harder than any other 5c in the area, or indeed any 6a.

> We're issuing an update at the moment to get the bulk of the newer stuff in. Interestingly for those two examples, we got the info from the FA. Thanks for the feedback though.

No problem. The work you've done on Kalymnos is very much appreciated - I met Claude Idoux after I topped out on "The Crystal Line". I didn't discuss the grade, but 6a seems fair - whatever the grade it's a magnificent route.

Chris the Tall 09 Oct 2015

To be fair my notes from my second ascent do say "harder than I remember it" but that's often the case with me !

Good route nonetheless - I'd need to get back there !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...