UKC

Log Book New Route Rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2015
If you do a route that isn't in the Logbooks, and add to them, PLEASE give us Mods a chance by provide the bare minimum of information as to WHERE IT IS!

Left of 'X' is all we need, that isn't too much to ask is it?

Thanks for reading,

Chris
 krikoman 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> If you do a route that isn't in the Logbooks, and add to them, PLEASE give us Mods a chance by provide the bare minimum of information as to WHERE IT IS!

> Left of 'X' is all we need, that isn't too much to ask is it?

No
 d_b 07 Oct 2015

but... but... If I tell you where it is then there is a risk of finding out that it isn't really new!
 johncook 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs: And a description of the route. There are a lot of routes with "no description supplied".

Chris the Tall 07 Oct 2015

Years ago I requested a feature whereby someone adding a new route could select from the list of Buttress/Sectors - that was rejected.

You occasionally get descriptions such as "In the guidebook", which isn't much help. Most crags have several guidebooks, but not all of them have indexes.

Another problem is that I've got a feeling that a lot of users have "dead" emails.
 bpmclimb 07 Oct 2015

"Required fields" on the submission page might help.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Years ago I requested a feature whereby someone adding a new route could select from the list of Buttress/Sectors - that was rejected.

No it wasn't, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Major improvements to the system tomorrow although I fear that this isn't one of them.

Alan
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2015

This is the route that got me going:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/editclimb.html?id=380466

I can't verify is as I don't know where it is on the crag. I guess I 'll need to go and have a look myself

Chris
 jon 07 Oct 2015

> This is the route that got me going:

> I can't verify is as I don't know where it is on the crag. I guess I 'll need to go and have a look myself

Try this one for size, Chris: No match for climb id:201275

In reply to jon:

Can't you just pop out an check it for me?

Chris

Bulls Crack 07 Oct 2015

Maybe they're just forgettable sports climbs and the first ascensionist just err forgot?
In reply to Bulls Crack:

These aren't 1st Ascents, they are folks logging routes that don't currently appear in the Databases,

Chris
Steve Golley KBF 07 Oct 2015
hi Chris, have added info but agree with the sentiment!
Post edited at 18:10

> This is the route that got me going:

> I can't verify is as I don't know where it is on the crag. I guess I 'll need to go and have a look myself

Did you know that if you mark it as 'cannot be confirmed', it sends an email to the person who uploaded it asking them for more details?

Alan
 jon 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Did you know that if you mark it as 'cannot be confirmed', it sends an email to the person who uploaded it asking them for more details?

> Alan

I didn't know that. What a good idea. I'll try that with the one I just posted.
 jon 07 Oct 2015

> These aren't 1st Ascents, they are folks logging routes that don't currently appear in the Databases,

I think the title of your thread may have confused Bull's Crack.

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Oct 2015
> Did you know that if you mark it as 'cannot be confirmed', it sends an email to the person who uploaded it asking them for more details?

> Alan

No I didn't know that either - brilliant idea! I'll get sending then.

Chris
Post edited at 10:43
 Chris the Tall 08 Oct 2015

> No I didn't know that either - brilliant idea! I'll get sending then.

> Chris

But it only works if the person submitting the data still uses the same email address that they used when they set up their UKC profile. Maybe it should be a requirement of using the logbook system that you have to verify your email on an annual basis ?
 Chris the Tall 08 Oct 2015

> No it wasn't, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

That's the software developer's equivalent of "The cheques in the post"
 Andy Say 08 Oct 2015
In reply to jon:

> Try this one for size, Chris: No match for climb id:201275

Jon,

After having applied my razor-like intellect and deductive powers to this one I believe that there are strong indications that your mystery '4a' is, in fact, this route - Unnamed (4a) The clues are there if you look hard enough.

Chris,

I think you are looking for a one-legged, left-handed Italian with a lisp.

jon 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

> After having applied my razor-like intellect and deductive powers to this one I believe that there are strong indications that your mystery '4a' is, in fact, this route - Unnamed (4a) The clues are there if you look hard enough.

Razor-like intellect... which presumably makes you Yoda. But why was it added as a duplicate? So as a duplicate I don't have to transfer logbook ticks as it is already ticked under its other entry? Or do I?

I have to say that I took St Christophe on as the previous mod had left it in a completely jumbled state, untouched for at least a year. This and a few routes in the Cascade secteur are the last of the puzzle!
 Andy Say 08 Oct 2015
In reply to jon:

> Razor-like intellect... which presumably makes you Yoda.

Couldn't possibly comment.......

But I would guess that the assumption was that if the route was 'un-named' then there was no name to enter?

If you drop Paul, the logbook editor, an email he can transfer records over. I've found a couple of duplicated crags on UKC and he has been able to merge them. I've got a similar issue with a crag in Italy where a local has been 'filling the gaps' and the routes aren't even in the latest guide.
 jon 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

It's not a matter of duplicated crags. It's the routes that are duplicated. The moderator can do that. In this case I'm assuming the name of the route already in the database was 'un-named'. This on the face of it does give the person a slight excuse, however if the original moderator of the crag had managed to get the routes in the right order a little applied logic on behalf of the person ticking the route might have helped. In this case the database was a mess so when entering a new name, a very brief description of the route - where it is - might just help the moderator to put it in the right place. So, in this case if the route is duplicated and the ticks are duplicated there's no need for me to transfer them - just delete route and ticks?
 Laramadness 08 Oct 2015

Yes, I've got one or two like this - it's usually Chris Craggs who adds them !!
 Andy Say 08 Oct 2015
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Andy Say)
>
> It's not a matter of duplicated crags.

Aye. But imagine if someone else had put this crag on with a slightly different name and folks had been logging routes on either for 10 years....?

> So, in this case if the route is duplicated and the ticks are duplicated there's no need for me to transfer them - just delete route and ticks?

Not quite so straightforward I'm afraid, Jon. If you log a lead of 'Mega Super Direct Eliminate' with Mr Blue and Mrs Green unless you use their UKC names it all just stays exclusively in your log. And if, after you led it, you pulled the ropes and they then led it they might want their log to show that.

In this case just delete the route! My pals can re-claim.

Sorry. Edit. Whoever they are they can reclaim.
Post edited at 14:43
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Laramadness:

> Yes, I've got one or two like this - it's usually Chris Craggs who adds them !!

Do as I say - not as I do,

Chris

jon 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

OK Yoda, consider it done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...