UKC

Climbing in Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ck85 07 Oct 2015
I'm moving to Iceland in November and just wondered if anyone on here lives there? It'd be good to know someone there before I head over. Has anyone climbed at the wall in Reykjavik, is it worth taking my rope over?

Any recommendations for places to boulder?
 wilkesley 07 Oct 2015
In reply to ck85:

I haven't climbed there, but went on a holiday with my daughter in April. Having toured around, most of the rock appears very shattered and rotten. However, if you like ice falls, it's probably close to nirvana. There are falls of all sizes and shapes within easy reach of the road. There are also areas with Alpine style routes on the bigger peaks.

The scenery is spectacular. The weather is highly localized and very variable. The storms can be sudden and very violent. We experienced one storm where the wind lifted our Land Cruiser off the road a couple of times. Luckily it only moved us a few yards before dumping us back down again.
 Solaris 07 Oct 2015
In reply to ck85:

> ...if anyone on here lives there?
I don't but I've been there several times and wish I did.

Rope? - yes, definitely, especially – but not exclusively – for the winter possibilities. There are also possibilities for alpinism.

When I was hunting out information about Iceland a few years back, it didn't take me long to find on-line climbing info, including guides I recently came across a video of a first ascent - this year, iirc – of a 3 pitch 5.10/11 highly reminiscent of the lines on Kilt Rock.

My strong suspicion is that there is a lot of bouldering waiting to be discovered, and certainly more than I know to have been recorded. For example, last winter I found a nice spot within an hour's drive of Reykjavik but so far as I can tell it's not been written up.

All that said, if I was hunting out new rock or alpine routes, Iceland wouldn't be my first destination. Good place though.
 pec 07 Oct 2015
In reply to ck85:

There's some useful info here
http://edinburghjmcs.org.uk/pdfs/iceland.pdf
I've climbed ar Stardalur which was quite good a bit like Crag Lough in Northumberland if you've ever climbed there. Also at Munkapvera which was a bit crap. Hnappvellir looked good but it was raining so didn't climb anything.
 Mark Bull 08 Oct 2015
In reply to ck85:

There's an online guide here: http://www.klifur.is/category/crag with some maps and topos which might be useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...