UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Rockfax Digital - Now Available

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 08 Oct 2015
The Rockfax App , 5 kbThe Rockfax App is now available for download to enable access to around 20,000 routes direct to your iOS device. The App itself is free and is incredibly useful in its own right with the full UKC Crags and Listings Database.

Read more
 Marcus B 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

This is great news. Roughly how long should we wait before the android version comes out?

Top work Rockfax!
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice app. Shame about the price.

The print version of West Country Climbs costs £25. To buy all the sections in the app would cost £48! Ouch.
In reply to Davros the Psyched:

> Nice app. Shame about the price.

> The print version of West Country Climbs costs £25. To buy all the sections in the app would cost £48! Ouch.

We are intending offering a 'book' deal which will come in at under the printed book price for the same area, however the limitations of the App Store have made this impossible to offer at this stage.

Alan
 ali.scott 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

If we already own a given rockfax book, will we have to purchase it all again in the app to get it on our phones..?
In reply to ali.scott:

> If we already own a given rockfax book, will we have to purchase it all again in the app to get it on our phones..?

I'm afraid so. We have no way of knowing who has bought a Rockfax book out there, and with over 260,000 books sold, it could be quite a long list. Even for future purchases though these will be regarded as different products although there will certainly be scope for offering a discount option for sales direct from the Rockfax web site.

Alan
 myrddinmuse 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Awesome! Sad that it's not out for android yet, but I assume that's in the pipeline?
 nutme 08 Oct 2015

How about one time use code in each book you sell? It will not solve the problem for people already owning a hard copy, but at least will work for future customers.
 JR 08 Oct 2015
In reply to nutme:
...because the codes would never be used by the actual people that bought the books. It'll just end up being a free download for anyone lucky enough to find an unused download code in a book on the shop shelf.

That said... Some method of discounting for previous purchases (especially if it's going to be offered for new purchases) is not an unreasonable ask.
Post edited at 13:46
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

Hi Marcus,

I can't give you an exact date for the release the android version, mainly because I don't yet know myself! Let me tell you though, I am working has hard as I can to get it out there.

One thing we want to avoid is the release of a substandard app just to get it in users hands early. As you will hopefully see from the level of detail in the iOS version, its worth investing that time in the end.

Cheers,

Martin
 Fraser 08 Oct 2015

Question: given Android's apparently much larger market share than iOS, (82.8% vs. 13.9%, according to the link below) why did Rockfax decide to develop first for Apple products, rather than Android?

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

In reply to Fraser:

Frazer, I think in the UK iOS has a much larger market share than the article you linked states. Having said that, Android is still ahead of iOS.
 snoop6060 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Davros the Psyched:

48quid for an electronic version of what is in the book? That's ridiculous.
 Lemony 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser: The market share's only relevant to a decision to release an app like this if those users are spending money on and in apps. iOS users still generate overwhelmingly more revenue than Android ones. See for example:
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/15/app-store-google-play-revenue-q1-2015/
In reply to snoop6060:

> 48quid for an electronic version of what is in the book? That's ridiculous.

I know it sounds bit seat of pants, but we have just come up with a solution for this which is pretty simple and we are just about to implement. It may be next week before it appears on the App but we hope to be able to offer the full book packages at a price around 3/4 of the printed book.

It is an indication of how hard we have been working on this that the simple solution didn't occur to us before.

Alan
In reply to Fraser:

> Question: given Android's apparently much larger market share than iOS, (82.8% vs. 13.9%, according to the link below) why did Rockfax decide to develop first for Apple products, rather than Android?

From Google Analytics, 41% of our user visits are on mobile and tablet, and 57% of that traffic is on iOS compared to 39% on Android. This has been the case consistently over the last 3 years as we have been working on the App although the figures are getting closer albeit pretty slowly in recent months.

There is also the point made by Lemony that iOS users buy and use Apps far more than Android users.

Alan

In reply to Fraser:

> Question: given Android's apparently much larger market share than iOS, (82.8% vs. 13.9%, according to the link below) why did Rockfax decide to develop first for Apple products, rather than Android?

The root reason is that we developed it in-house, and I had an iPhone and used a Mac for laying out the Rockfax printed books, so it made sense for me to develop on that platform.

Originally, there was only me working on it at Rockfax, so we didn't have the possibility of having specifications nailed down right from the start. The plan has always been to use the iOS version to figure out how it should all hang together, then follow suit with the Android version. The evolving nature meant that Android couldn't be developed precisely in parallel, but it is underway and has been for a while.
 Abu777 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
This is great news! The pricing does sound expensive, but to be honest I only mainly use guides for two or three crags out of any of the guidebooks I have - e.g. Stanage and Froggatt from Eastern Grit - so having an option to just purchase the info for the specific crag you want sounds good to me. Plus you get all the added functionality of it being a web-connected mobile app, with maps, zooming in on photos, links to UKC user pics and the logbook. Sounds pretty ace!
Post edited at 15:14
 mattck 08 Oct 2015
In reply to JR:
> ...because the codes would never be used by the actual people that bought the books. It'll just end up being a free download for anyone lucky enough to find an unused download code in a book on the shop shelf.

I disagree... Many companies do this without a problem, often with the code behind a scratch panel (not that this stops people stealing), OS being an example of a recent company to start doing this.

I don't necessarily think that free would be a necessity, as development takes time and money, so more than a right to charge for it. However, I think books should come with a single use code that enables a discount (50-75%).

I'd certainly love to use the app once it's on Android, but unfortunately at the price, I can't justify it as I already own many of the guides in paper form.

Look forward to trying it out though and watching the all progress!
Post edited at 16:17
 Fraser 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax & the others:

> From Google Analytics, 41% of our user visits are on mobile and tablet, and 57% of that traffic is on iOS compared to 39% on Android.

> There is also the point made by Lemony that iOS users buy and use Apps far more than Android users.

Cheers for clarifying, I'd assumed you'd know what split of UKC registered folk were using the different platforms. I think I'd read somewhere that iOS users spend more on aps.

In reply to UKC Gear:

Great! Though am I being really really stupid? For the Dorset trial section (Coastguard on Portland) there are no route lengths. How do I find these? As a puny boulderer with no power endurance capabilities this could be problematic.
 Aigen 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

This looks great very good work. I might have missed it but can this App be used offline. As in you download when online and then when you are offline (e.g France at the crag) can you see your guide on the app?
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> Great! Though am I being really really stupid? For the Dorset trial section (Coastguard on Portland) there are no route lengths. How do I find these? As a puny boulderer with no power endurance capabilities this could be problematic.

Written on the topo, in yellow or red boxes. This is the system we have been using in the books for the last 7 years or so as well.

Alan
 danm 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Stephen Horne - UKC:

Nice work Fatboy!
In reply to Aigen:
> This looks great very good work. I might have missed it but can this App be used offline. As in you download when online and then when you are offline (e.g France at the crag) can you see your guide on the app?

Any crag downloaded is stored on your phone and available to use no matter what signal you have. Since some of the downloads are quite big you can uninstall them from the downloads tab under Crags by tapping the X. This will dump the data off the phone, but not from your account. Hence you can create space if you need it by dumping crags you don't need back into the cloud, and downloading them again later. Obviously you need a good wifi or 3G/4G connection to do that.

Other aspects of the app like online photos and comments are downloaded on the fly hence those don't function without a 3G/4G signal. Neither will the map, although the map data does get downloaded, hence you can see what is near, just without the map topography.

Your logbook ticks can be made at the crag and they will sit on the device until it gets a signal and then they will upload to your UKC logbook.

Alan
Post edited at 18:34
In reply to danm:

Thanks Danno =]
Richiex1 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

This app looks and works fantastic, perfectly happy to pay small amount to download regularly frequented crags even if I do have th book already . The level of detail and overall usability of this is brilliant keep up the good work.

One small point I've made a few in app purchases on my phone, now have the app downloaded on the iPad, question is should the purchases made show up on the iPad? Both devices are on the same Apple ID, this maybe a settings option just thought I'd ask....!

Apart from that brilliant

> Other aspects of the app like online photos and comments are downloaded on the fly hence those don't function without a 3G/4G signal.

Just to clarify that statement a bit: you won't be able to update the comments or photos without a signal, but any you've looked at before will be there.

Photos are stored indefinitely, or until you wipe the cache explicitly in settings. I can't quite remember the intricacies of how comments are downloaded now, but it happens when you look at the route, either by open its topo (then possibly tapping the 'i' button, not sure) or scrolling to it in the route list.

I will add a way to download all photos and comments for a crag in one go in a future version.
In reply to Richiex1:

> This app looks and works fantastic, perfectly happy to pay small amount to download regularly frequented crags even if I do have th book already . The level of detail and overall usability of this is brilliant keep up the good work.

Thanks =]

> One small point I've made a few in app purchases on my phone, now have the app downloaded on the iPad, question is should the purchases made show up on the iPad? Both devices are on the same Apple ID, this maybe a settings option just thought I'd ask....!

They won't show up automatically, so you have two options:

- If you go through the process of buying a bundle you've already bought, you will eventually be told that you've paid for it already and won't be charged for this second purchase (you have to tap 'buy' again though, so it's a bit off-putting).

- or you can go to 'My Account' in the 'Home' tab and tap 'Restore Purchases'. This will ask the app store what your account has bought and update the UI appropriately so you have the more-reassuring download icons for things you've already bought.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Huge congratulations Fatboy and everyone else involved. A monumental amount of work - take 6 months off!
In reply to James Rushforth:

> - take 6 months off!

er.... not sure about that
In reply to UKC Gear:

Just had a browse through and looks fantastic. Something I will use a lot! Great work by everyone involved!

Does it automatically update alongside the UKC crag page with new routes? So all new routes added since guidebook are correct or is it the same as the published book? Be great if it does - and apologies if I have missed anything explaining it does or doesn't.
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

> Does it automatically update alongside the UKC crag page with new routes? So all new routes added since guidebook are correct or is it the same as the published book? Be great if it does - and apologies if I have missed anything explaining it does or doesn't.

The intention is to keep the information up to date however it isn't just a matter of adding a route to a database (like UKC Logbooks) and it then appearing in the App. It is quite a palaver to actually update the data packages so it is likely that this will only happen every now and then, although this will certainly be more frequent than a print version of a book.

It should also be noted that, even the set of areas we have at the moment, tend to have more information than their printed equivalent and this will increase with time as we start including more minor areas in the App than in their equivalent printed book.

The App data versions will have a limited life span as well, like a book. ie. when we do a major update with new crags, photo-topos, etc. this will not be a free update if you own the previous version of the same area. This will almost certainly only ever happen when we produce a new print guidebook. The old version will still function, although there is likely to be some limitation on this, but the new version will have to be purchased but probably at a decent discount.

Alan

Sounds really good. Looking forward to seeing how it develops over the coming years.
 Cake 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Any chance of a Windows phone app, or is this just further proof that I should never have bought this phone?
In reply to Cake:

Sorry Cake, I'm afraid we just don't have the resources to make a Windows app at the moment.
 duncandarnell 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Ive just brought gogarth and its downloaded, but it wont show in the "my crags" it just says "no crags installed" I paid for it and it showed it downloading. Anyone else had this happen or any idea where i can look at this thing i just paid for!! wtf
Plus one to what Dan said - looks well swish! (Dunno what's wrong with a nice book though! :P )

Bet you are mega glad it's all done and dusted! Enjoy Cham mate - I'm missing those pizzas already!

Dunc

P.S 7 months off then is it?
Post edited at 00:03
 Misha 09 Oct 2015
In reply to duncandarnell:
Mine took a few seconds to actually start downloading and appear. Try the age old switch phone off and back on again... Also there's a restore button which restores all your purchases eg if you have to wipe your phone for some reason so try that?
 Misha 09 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
Credit where credit is due. It is very good indeed.
In reply to duncandarnell:

> Ive just brought gogarth and its downloaded, but it wont show in the "my crags" it just says "no crags installed" I paid for it and it showed it downloading. Anyone else had this happen or any idea where i can look at this thing i just paid for!! wtf

Hi Duncan, sorry about that - I've not come across that issue before. Restarting the app may fix it.

If not, send me an email at (support at rockfax.com) and we'll figure it out.

In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Cheers Duncs =]
> Written on the topo, in yellow or red boxes. This is the system we have been using in the books for the last 7 years or so as well.

> Alan

Thanks for your patience Alan! I took a sabattical from climbing and have only just come back. The last guide I bought was the 2005 one Dorset one!!

EDIT: Agreed with all comments. Top work and an incredible app. Well done to all concerned. Could have done with it at Swanage Boulder Ruckle on Sunday rather than lugging the guide up with me.
Post edited at 09:17
In reply to Misha:

> Credit where credit is due. It is very good indeed.

Thanks very much, that is great to hear.

It would be extremely useful to us if people could submit their reviews to the App Store.

Alan
 Justin Reid 09 Oct 2015

> Photos are stored indefinitely, or until you wipe the cache explicitly in settings.

This could become an issue if folks have limited storage, maybe have an option to store Photos for offline viewing?
In reply to Justin Reid:

> This could become an issue if folks have limited storage, maybe have an option to store Photos for offline viewing?

I decided that the most-common use case would be that people would expect photos they've already looked at to be there if they look again at the crag without reception. You can clear the cache in a matter of seconds, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue I hope.
 PPP 09 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Seems like if you add a climb to the logbook and decide to delete it, it still shows a tick on UKC: http://imgur.com/Zwc18PG . I am talking about Prinoth (6b+).

Other than that and the fact that the maps are super slow if you add UKC crags (on an iPad Air 1st Gen), it's a great app. If only there were any crags in Scotland...

Also, I was quite keen to create an app which would allow people to add their own topos and publish them. That would be great as I suppose Rockfax is not likely to add local crags, such as Auchinstarry Quarry or Dunglas. That's where I would also use an iPad to look at routes, not at 660m long rote.
In reply to PPP:

> Seems like if you add a climb to the logbook and decide to delete it, it still shows a tick on UKC: http://imgur.com/Zwc18PG . I am talking about Prinoth (6b+).

We had to create a system so instead of just deleting them from database, deleted ascents get trashed and then the changes can be kept in sync with however many devices you've got your account linked to. The current crag page doesn't use this system and hence show's the tick.

The new logbook pages are going to be available on Monday. The crag, climb, and My Logbook pages will show this correctly and there's a ton of other changes too.
In reply to PPP:

> Other than that and the fact that the maps are super slow if you add UKC crags (on an iPad Air 1st Gen), it's a great app.

On the same device here the maps are pretty quick, certainly useable - maybe 2 secs to redraw - but I am on a fast wifi.

Are you sure it isn't your connection?

> If only there were any crags in Scotland...

We are working on it.

Alan
In reply to PPP:

> Other than that and the fact that the maps are super slow if you add UKC crags (on an iPad Air 1st Gen), it's a great app. If only there were any crags in Scotland...

It's certainly true that showing a load of stuff on the map pushes the device quite a lot. Believe it or not, a fair amount of development time has already gone into performance tuning this. More will be done in the future also.

For the moment, if you find the map being a bit sluggish, you may want to turn off the bits that you're not currently interested in so you have fewer placemarkers showing. You do this using the filter button in the top right.
 gethin_allen 09 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Considering that, according to Forbes, Andoid currently holds a 81.5% share of the smart phone market compared to iOS with a mere 14% would it not have been better to get the Android version out first to reach the biggest audience?
It always seems that companies release the iOS apps first and I think this reflects that most of the artsy IT graphic designer people seem to be apple fanboys/girls and hence they ignore the real numbers.
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Considering that, according to Forbes, Andoid currently holds a 81.5% share of the smart phone market compared to iOS with a mere 14% would it not have been better to get the Android version out first to reach.

I refer you to my previous answer on this one - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=626208&v=1#x8147716

And Stephen's better answer just below it.

Alan
 duncandarnell 09 Oct 2015

Restarted the phone twice and it's there now, and it's great! Thank's for the reply m8, great lil app!
Removed User 10 Oct 2015

Guys it looks great but are you planning on introducing H grades? Possibly as a preference option of course, at least initially...
 slacky 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Lemony:

> The market share's only relevant to a decision to release an app like this if those users are spending money on and in apps. iOS users still generate overwhelmingly more revenue than Android ones. See for example:

This is true only if you are going to be charging for your software/content.

iOS users are conditioned to pay over the odds for both their hardware and software.
In reply to Removed User:

> Guys it looks great but are you planning on introducing H grades? Possibly as a preference option of course, at least initially...

This is very unlikely since grading systems cause us a pretty huge headache as it is so adding a new one would be a huge amount of work. If anything, we will be streamlining grading systems.

Alan
 phil456 10 Oct 2015
Extreamly functional app.
As regards updates, I was hoping that the crag bundles could be updated on a rolling basis, rather than waiting ages for a new book.
Also at some later stage could other guide book writers be invited to share your platform so that users get a more complete crag topo.
The pricing as is, seems fair considering the app quality, if all the routes were draw on the topo it would be worth more per crag.

springfall2008 10 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's a real shame there isn't access to the Data on UK Climbing for all areas, I don't see why the current route information, photos and comments can't be in the app. Then the user buys the extra info you currently have on top.

For example I climb in the Wye Valley but I dont think Rockfax covers that area (isn't it climbers club)?

Misha 10 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
A couple of suggestions:

When the topo is in full screen mode, it would be handy if when you clicked on a highlighted route it would open up the route description.

When the topo is in full screen mode, the route name and grade comes up at the top when you click on it. Would be good to have the stars as well.
In reply to treforsouthwell:

> It's a real shame there isn't access to the Data on UK Climbing for all areas, I don't see why the current route information, photos and comments can't be in the app. Then the user buys the extra info you currently have on top.

Th app is primarily a Rockfax app. We've added in as much UKC integration as is currently feasible, but it's complicated to add 400k routes to a database on a phone, and it's complicated to integrate routes in a local database (ie rockfax routes) with route data fetched from a ukc api, so we shelved that idea for the moment.

It's not dead though, I will be investigating it further at some point.
In reply to Misha:

> A couple of suggestions:

> When the topo is in full screen mode, it would be handy if when you clicked on a highlighted route it would open up the route description.

I decided that once you've hidden the route drawer, it should only reappear if you explicitly make it, otherwise it would be annoying if you wanted it to stay hidden and it reappeared every time you tap a routeline. You can also tap the pulltab on the route drawer to make it slide back to its last position.

> When the topo is in full screen mode, the route name and grade comes up at the top when you click on it. Would be good to have the stars as well.

Good point - I'll add this.
 jezb1 11 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
Seems a nice enough app but far too expensive to be of any interest to me, as is the CC one.
Post edited at 08:17
 stayfreejc 11 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Excellent. I have been waiting for this for years. I can finally retire my paper copy before it completely falls apart. The price seems fair to me as you can pay for only the areas you want instead of buying a whole book and not using half of it. Top app. Cheers.
In reply to phil456:

> As regards updates, I was hoping that the crag bundles could be updated on a rolling basis, rather than waiting ages for a new book.

The purchased version will be updated periodically with new routes and corrections, and this will be a free and automatic update. It is only when we do a major new version, coinciding with a new book, so probably once every 6 to 8 years or so, that the updated version will require a new purchase. We haven't yet decided the actual way this is going to work though. One possible system we may adopt is yearly subscription for everything.

> Also at some later stage could other guide book writers be invited to share your platform so that users get a more complete crag topo.

This is definitely something we hope to do. One of the biggest jobs we carried out in making this App was turning the print-publication data into App form which has given us a lot of experience in how to do this. Hopefully we will be able to adapt a system to do the same thing to non-Rockfax books. We also hope to produce an online topo creator for people to add their own crags direct into App format.

> The pricing as is, seems fair considering the app quality, if all the routes were draw on the topo it would be worth more per crag.

I suspect that this is the way it will go. The App will contain more information per crag than the printed books in the long run.

Alan
In reply to jezb1:

> Seems a nice enough app but far too expensive to be of any interest to me, as is the CC one.

We will be adding full book version in the next week or so which will come in at around 75% the cost of the book. i.e. a book like Eastern Grit for £29.95 will be £22.99 on the App.

Alan
 solomonkey 11 Oct 2015
Whatever the stats say is slightly more popular , you should of just waited until Android was ready - It really grinds my nuts when apple apps release first ! Everyone with an iPhone is happy but I am now discouraged from having to wait , by which time I shall of stewed over it and decided sod ya , no longer interested !
Petzl make the same marketing mistake every year , big adverts everywhere , full page mags, vids , ukc , but then 6 months later still not for sale , all the fuss has died off and I go by black diamond !
Post edited at 08:43
 springfall2008 11 Oct 2015

I can understand the challenges, I think you would need to subscribe to certain crags and then it would just synchronize those.

Right now I can't even view my logbook or log additional routes on the app as you don't have the areas I climb available to buy.
 jezb1 11 Oct 2015

> We will be adding full book version in the next week or so which will come in at around 75% the cost of the book. i.e. a book like Eastern Grit for £29.95 will be £22.99 on the App.

> Alan

Good shout
 Adam Lincoln 11 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I may be missing something but is it free to see my logbook routes in the app? At the moment i can not.
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

> I may be missing something but is it free to see my logbook routes in the app? At the moment i can not.

No, you aren't missing anything. There are a few posts above that have expected this but it was never part of this first version of the app.

At the moment there is no way we can deal with the amount of data in the logbook system - both in delivery and presentation. It is something we hope to do at some point but for now the link to the logbook is via the routes in the purchased areas. These will sync with your logbook and you can add to your logbook direct from ticked routes.

Alan
 springfall2008 11 Oct 2015

This strikes me as a technical excuse for what could essentially be a sales led decision. It sounds to me like someone is scared that if the data already on the web site can be accessed for free then people won't buy extra areas.

I actually think the topo's look excellent and I'd be more than happy to buy my local crags, but it's not much use to me until the Wye Valley becomes available. However as that guide is climbers club and this App is Rockfax I guess that will never happen and so, for now, the app is useless to me - shame

> This strikes me as a technical excuse for what could essentially be a sales led decision. It sounds to me like someone is scared that if the data already on the web site can be accessed for free then people won't buy extra areas.

Well it isn't. Logbook data isn't a guidebook, doesn't include a topo, usually doesn't include a description and is freely available anyway. Including the Logbook data on the app would almost certainly have led to more people installing it on their phones, hence more potential customers for the Rockfax data. We couldn't do it because it is really complicated an tricky and we are learning as we go on this one.

Alan
 foxwood 11 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Took a long time to discover you have to enable InApp purchases on the iPhone to even be able to download the free samples. Old 4S running IOS8.

On an iPad running IOS9 it told me the purchases setting was off so knew what to do then !

Great app but going to cost a lot of money to switch from paper to digital. One suggestion - sell each topo(s) area that corresponds to a section/buttress etc. as a separate purchase - bit like OS do with map tiles - can then just buy what you need on the day (subject to phone signal!)

Love it though - particularly the highly detailed zoom in case of arguments about routes and holds !

Digital bling

In reply to foxwood:

> Took a long time to discover you have to enable InApp purchases on the iPhone to even be able to download the free samples. Old 4S running IOS8.

> On an iPad running IOS9 it told me the purchases setting was off so knew what to do then !

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll add some sort of notification to warn if IAPs are disabled.
In reply to solomonkey:
> It really grinds my nuts when apple apps release first ! Everyone with an iPhone is happy but I am now discouraged from having to wait , by which time I shall of stewed over it and decided sod ya , no longer interested !

Confirmation bias? Whataspp Web for example has been available on Android for about a year and only just come live on iPhone.

Seems like your logic is "If I can't have it then why should others". Which seems a little like my little brother with his football when we were ten.
Post edited at 09:04
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Oct 2015

> I actually think the topo's look excellent and I'd be more than happy to buy my local crags, but it's not much use to me until the Wye Valley becomes available. However as that guide is climbers club and this App is Rockfax I guess that will never happen and so, for now, the app is useless to me - shame

Maybe if you ever travel to climb somewhere-else you might find it useful,

Chris
 solomonkey 12 Oct 2015

Er yeah ok ,,, ?¿
My point is why not get them both ready then release it , everybody happy ?
 HeMa 12 Oct 2015

> The purchased version will be updated periodically with new routes and corrections, and this will be a free and automatic update. It is only when we do a major new version, coinciding with a new book, so probably once every 6 to 8 years or so, that the updated version will require a new purchase. We haven't yet decided the actual way this is going to work though. One possible system we may adopt is yearly subscription for everything.

While a yearly/monthly subscription is a "great" model, people might not be that keen to pay for it, if they primary use the app/guide at a certain location and then perhaps on a trip or two. I know 27Crags app is going to work on the subscription -model, but they ain't selling books/guides for locales, but rather everything is always available.

A simply idea on the iOs side is versioning. Quite a few products are indeed offered with free minor versions (1.x), but full new versions/revisions (2.x, 3.x and so on) are to be payed.
In reply to HeMa:

> While a yearly/monthly subscription is a "great" model, people might not be that keen to pay for it, if they primary use the app/guide at a certain location and then perhaps on a trip or two. I know 27Crags app is going to work on the subscription -model, but they ain't selling books/guides for locales, but rather everything is always available.

Yes it isn't straightforward for sure. It also has an added problem of us not really knowing what people are paying for and using which makes it difficult to deal with commissions due to authors.

> A simply idea on the iOs side is versioning. Quite a few products are indeed offered with free minor versions (1.x), but full new versions/revisions (2.x, 3.x and so on) are to be payed.

This is what we currently are aiming at but I think we are quite a way from this actually being a problem since we are still in the process of releasing the first round of data.

Alan
 HeMa 12 Oct 2015

> This is what we currently are aiming at but I think we are quite a way from this actually being a problem since we are still in the process of releasing the first round of data.

Indeed... but best at least plan something for the future...

The better the plan, planning and definitions are, the less problems you'll run into in the future.
In reply to solomonkey:

> My point is why not get them both ready then release it , everybody happy ?

The time taken to develop and debug an app like this is not trivial. Why sit on a finished product that can create revenue and begin to recoup costs while you develop the app for a totally different system (essentially from scratch)? Additionally if you release them together you've got users spotting bugs in both and having to sort both simultaneously. Fine if you have the man power. A headache if you don't.

And what is the benefit of releasing them together? The impatient don't get irritable. Let's face it... isn't a big problem.

I'm sorry, I really don't get the 'they've got it so why haven't I' mindset. It'll come in due course. And it'll be delivered in the best way for Rockfax... a company we all want to see do well.

> The time taken to develop and debug an app like this is not trivial. ....snip...
> I'm sorry, I really don't get the 'they've got it so why haven't I' mindset. It'll come in due course. And it'll be delivered in the best way for Rockfax... a company we all want to see do well.

Thank you for that.

We have three technical people working on everything technical that UKC and Rockfax do. This includes all the new Logbook changes that Paul rolled out by working at the weekend, and the new full book versions and updated App that Stephen has been working on (also at the weekend). Martin is progressing with the Android version but it is a good few months behind the Apple version. If we could afford to employ a full development team then we would do that but that isn't possible at the moment (or ever I suspect).

Meanwhile we are followers of the developers' maxim - 'release early and often'!

Alan
 springfall2008 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Yes maybe
 solomonkey 12 Oct 2015

> And what is the benefit of releasing them together? The impatient don't get irritable. Let's face it... isn't a big problem.

ok if you say so.

AndyPagett 13 Oct 2015

> We will be adding full book version in the next week or so which will come in at around 75% the cost of the book. i.e. a book like Eastern Grit for £29.95 will be £22.99 on the App.

> Alan

Am I going mad, or did I see a post saying that this had now actually happened, which has since been deleted?
In reply to AndyPagett:

> Am I going mad, or did I see a post saying that this had now actually happened, which has since been deleted?

No you are not going mad. We did launch it last night but there were some instability problems which means we have had to withdraw them.

We are going to need to hold it back until we can release a new version of the App to fix these problems. This should be a couple of weeks.

Alan

AndyPagett 13 Oct 2015

Glad my sanity is intact! That's fine then, I am sure my geekery can wait a few more weeks.

Great app by the way, far more than I ever imagined it would be. A questions and a suggestion:

Q) Will Peak Bouldering ever be included? I would love to download some of my fave bouldering venues to have with me all the time.

S) Would be nice if the 'routes' pages could be filtered by min and max grades rather than green, orange, red etc. I might be looking for S - VS for example, similar with HVS - E1 climbers.
 AndyPagett 14 Oct 2015

Excellent to both points, thank you. The filtering is actually now excellent
 badwabbit 17 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
This is a great start! Thank you for the efforts. Been looking forward to this for.. well about as long as you've been planning it

There are things I'd like to see but you've got enough on your plate just to get things stable, cross-platform, with all the data done and available and ideas already in your wishlist.

Biggest one for me is access to my integrated access to my (full) logbook, but as the App is RockFax rather than UKC I see why that's out of scope of the app at the moment. One app to find, tick and review logged routes is the dream... (Much as I like the books, they are a bit of a pain to lug to the crag with all the rest of the gear)

Nice work guys!
Post edited at 11:38
 Jimmy1976 18 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
Where can I found out what grades the colours in the small bar chart are? I can't seem to fing any kind of key, is there one.
Is it possible to find the actual numbers or each grade for crag before buying it, as the bar chart doesn't really convey this very well.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Jimmy1976:

The colours are explained here:

http://www.rockfax.com/publications/grades/

I agree, grade tallies would be very useful,

Chris

In reply to Jimmy1976:

> Is it possible to find the actual numbers or each grade for crag before buying it, as the bar chart doesn't really convey this very well.

This isn't currently available in the app, but it's a good idea so I'll add it to a future version. It will require an update to all the packages as well as an update to the app, so it won't happen immediately.
In reply to Jimmy1976:

> Where can I found out what grades the colours in the small bar chart are? I can't seem to fing any kind of key, is there one.

There's now a link in the Help section of the app that shows the grade colours legend.

> Is it possible to find the actual numbers or each grade for crag before buying it, as the bar chart doesn't really convey this very well.

This is now included in version 1.2 of the app, released last night. Some of the data needs updating to work with the new system, so currently not every crag or download bundle will display it correctly. We'll fix this over the next few weeks.
 Jimmy1976 13 Feb 2016
Nice one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...