UKC

Inspire me please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 09 Oct 2015
After having to cancel my 'trip of a lifetime' last year I am looking to get out in 2016 on a 3, possibly 4 Week trip to either South America or the Himalaya. My original intented destination was Nepal, climbing some of the 6000 metre trekking peaks but more recently I have been turned towards South America. Last night I was close to booking a 'Bolivia Climber' trip with KE Adventure Travel but managed to restrain my self opting instead to sound out the collective wit, wisdom and experience of UKC before committing myself.
I have 'climbed' upto 5800 in the past(Kili)without too many difficulties and have some 3 Summers experience of Alpine PD+/AD ish.
Open to all sorts of suggestions but 4 Weeks will be my limit.
Inspire me!!!
Gone for good 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

Bumpity bump..

Nepal.

Dave the Rave 10 Oct 2015

282 munros in 4 weeks ?
 MikeTS 10 Oct 2015

Been to Nepal and Peru. Would advise go to Nepal first. Try a trek / climb towards Everest. OK, it's overpopulated, but not to be missed.
Gone for good 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

It's only taken me 20 years to do 190 so not much chance of that I'm afraid!
 Dave the Rave 10 Oct 2015
> It's only taken me 20 years to do 190 so not much chance of that I'm afraid!

They've been done in 39 days 9 hrs and 6 mins/)
Post edited at 23:23
 Damo 11 Oct 2015
If you're that tight on time and it's a 'trip of a lifetime', and you want to get to the top of something, then either Bolivia or Peru would be best, mainly as you're more likely to get good weather* and fewer potential political or red-tape issues.

Nepal is a more impressive brand and may give a bigger cultural and visual experience, so might for some fit the Trip Of A Lifetime better. What is your priority? In Nepal you can 'waste' 10 days getting to BC for one climbing day on a 6000m peak. Or that 10 days is an enjoyable cultural and social experience. In Ladakh you can be at a BC a few days out from home, but you miss out on other things. If you want unclimbed, Ladakh is good. If you want something your friends will have heard of, Nepal is better.

If you only have three weeks then I can recommend the Ausangate Circuit + Ausangate climb in the Cordillera Vilcanota of Peru. It's a decent climb in a stunning area, good access, cheap logistics and generally stable weather, plus has some other doable lower peaks around if you want more. Cusco is a fun town and has the whole Machu Picchu thing if you need to entertain the family etc. http://www.summitpost.org/nevado-ausangate/656215

*Unless it's an El Nino year, such as right now, and maybe next spring, in which case stay away from Peru as it rains and snows too much. Do your research well before time.
Post edited at 01:03
Gone for good 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Damo:
Thanks for the suggestion Damo. Looks like a good trip. Does anyone have any experience of Ke adventure? Do they offer value for money?
Post edited at 08:43
 sheffieldchris 11 Oct 2015

All of the UK based companies are going to have to add their mark up before selling to you. You have to weigh up the piece of mind and reassurance of having all the information and access to it from a UK company.
From what I have seen KE are going to be good, but are much more focused on trekking and walking than climbing. Have a look at Adventure Peaks based in the lakes and Jagged Globe based in Sheffield.
They are both then going to use their in-country agents once you arrive. The other option is to contact the company direct.
Nepal=Sacred Summits very good
Bolivia= High Earth (Elisa the owner was outstanding)
Kyrgyzstan=ITMC very good
All of these companies will provide the back up and support of whatever plan/objective you come up with as opposed to going on a packaged climbing trip.
As when you go to a new climbing venue with just a guide book you need to be prepared to spend a lot of time messing about finding routes and areas. So you need to first work out what is important to you, getting up stuff or exploring.
Main thing is do one or the other not sit at home
Bserk 12 Oct 2015

I'd also tend to Nepal - what about Ama Dablam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...