UKC

Cheap down jackets - any thoughts on the Popena?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking for a cheap down jacket for general knocking-about. There seem to be a fair few Berghaus Popenas offered at about a hundred quid; anybody got one?

Plus, how's the sizing on them? Are they sized as an outer layer, or mid-layer?

Many thanks. In the last two weeks, I've bought a Hoover and a couple of Laydeez harnesses following UKC advice - and saved enough to think about a jacket - so hopes are high.

(Plus, it wouldn't be UKC without at least a couple of posts telling me I don't want a Popena, as there's a late-model Patagucci for twenty quid at Sports Direct. Would welcome any tips along these lines.)
Post edited at 17:22
 Ridge 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Sorry, it's actually UKC etiquette to wait until you post that you've bought the jacket, then let you know they're cheaper elsewhere...

No experience of the popena, but both myself and Mrs Ridge have Berghaus down jackets (no idea what models) bought cheap a few years ago and still going strong. I'm a 42 chest and could get a mid weight jumper beneath my medium. Only problem is being sneered at in gear shops in Keswick.
In reply to Ridge:

Stuff the sneerers - last couple of knockabout down jackets have been Berghaus. Unfortunately, it seems to be zips that let them down, but generally good value.

In terms of bargains, old, dependable Blacks currently have an extra 15 per cent off everything over seventy five quid - including items already in the Sale. Unfortunately, it ends at midnight (and most of the sale items are OOS in medium).

What size are you looking for ? I've a Mint M.E Lightline Hooded Down Jkt in Red £60 XL but really more like a large
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Probably a tad on the big side for me, Stevie, but thank you
 neuromancer 11 Oct 2015

I found a North Face micro baffle hooded jacket (700fp proofed down) in TK max for £79 - i wasn't sure whether to return it or not.

I just can't see when it would be appropriate to take it over either an atom lt, a generator alpine or a proper box wall down jacket?
 Pedro 11 Oct 2015

Thanks, just ordered one!
Pedro.
In reply to Pedro:

It's a bl**** steal, isn't it? Just not my size.....
 Dell 12 Oct 2015

Couple of cheap-ish Patagonia down jackets at Bananafingers. Limited sizes/colours though
 ben b 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie: Joking apart, there are a lot of down jackets on sportpursuit.com currently. I'd obviously be delighted if you signed up via this link:

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Ben_Brockway_75946

'Cos that way I get five quid in my account if you order something

They have Yeti, Berghaus, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, Sherpa, Jack Wolfskin, Izas, Columbia and Marmot down jackets for 50-60% off RRP; which means the Arcteryx Thorium is 80 not 200, for instance.

They are hiding in the "Men's Hiking Jackets" section; personally I think it's worth deciding if you want the all enveloping 'expedition' jacket which you can only comfortably stand still in vs a thin 'pullover' type that is way more practical but not quite so solid. I melt fairly rapidly in proper down jackets so am quite biased!

Happy hunting

cheers

b
In reply to ben b:

Sorry, Ben - already a member (and I'm following the sales as well).

Cheap down jackets can be found at Uniqlo, cheap if you don't need a "climbing" heritage label on the chest
 ScottTalbot 12 Oct 2015

Cotswolds have a sale on at the moment and there are a few down jackets in there for around the £90-£100 mark.

As it went, the epicentre are selling off Sherpa Dengboche jackets for sixty five quid. No hood, but a bargain at that price.
 Simon80 18 Oct 2015
Uniqlo, have been using them for years, as good as the branded ones

Timmd 18 Oct 2015
The best cheap down jacket is a second hand one from ebay in nearly new condition, it's not meaning more resources are going into your new-to-you jacket.

There's always Rab and Mountain Equipment ones floating about.
Post edited at 16:20
kerny 19 Oct 2015

I bought this , not tried it out yet (waiting for some snow) but for 75 quid I thought why not.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-mens-down-jacket-black-id_8286606.ht...
 TobyA 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon80:

> Uniqlo, have been using them for years, as good as the branded ones

But like with like? I've got a uniqlo one too - great, the lightest insulating jacket I own. But its so thin, its really like a medium weight fleece with a bit of windproofing thrown in. Super value, but not warm enough for cold weather except as a mid layer.

lithos 19 Oct 2015

did you find one, i've got a blue medium sierra designs 600/650 fill down jacket in v. good nick (no hood).
Its great for town, hanging about belaying etc (esp at Hull wall !) sort of thing
Not really a suitable mountain jacket but fine for what general use.
I have 6 down jackets , i need to slim down my collection!
35 quid posted
In reply to lithos:

Thanks for the reply. As it turned out, I got a Sherpa Dengboche from The Epicentre for sixty five quid posted. Couldn't really go wrong at that price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...