UKC

Route logging apps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 12 Oct 2015
What apps, or hardware, do you use to track your routes in the hill? I currently have Runkeeper, but find getting a signal at the start of most routes impossible, so can never track the whole route!?!

Ideally, I'm looking for something that I can upload to my blog, without having to manually input the whole route on Google maps...

Any thoughts?
In reply to ScottTalbot:

What platform?

For Android, most of the mapping apps will do it, including the free ones such as OruxMaps and Locus.

Or there are a whole raft of dedicated GPS loggers that just log GNSS data...

If it takes a while to get a fix first, then I'd suggest you preload the ephemeris data using an app like GPS status, using WiFi or mobile network connection. Or just stand still for the 12.5 minutes (max) it should take to receive the ephemeris data.

My Hudl will usually do a cold start pretty quickly; much less than that 12.5 minutes. It has GPS & GLONASS.

Then there are the antenna issues: are you making sure the antenna is pointing up, and has a good view of the sky?
OP ScottTalbot 13 Oct 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
Thanks for all the info, I haven't heard of any of those apps, but will download a couple and see how I get on...
Post edited at 00:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...