UKC

Via feratta in Montserat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marcus Tierney 19 Oct 2015
Can anyone help with information in English regarding via ferattas descriptions around Montserat ? Search engine results are mainly in Spanish or relate to guided tours. Going in a couple of weeks for a few days to explore the area and thought I might include the VF kit for a bit of extra fun.
Thanks.
 nutme 19 Oct 2015

Not far from monastery you can find via ferrata 'La Teresina'. I would vote for that as absolutely the best ferrata on Montserat massive. It starts with an approach from refugio Bartomeu Puiggr£s (it closed few years ago, but still known as refugio). You can either drive there or walk from monastery. It's 1 - 2 hours walk.

Approach to the start is in dry canyon and takes about half an hour. It's marked with paint all the way. There is a board at the start of ferrata indicating the name and rules on route.

Via ferrata itself is graded as difficult. First part of the route is very exposed. Traverses the wall and at some point there may be nothing under you for few hundred meters.

After you reach first summit you will have a nice view and will have to down climb on other side for about 12 meters. Personally I find this part to be most difficult of all route and would suggest to take abseil cord if not comfortable going gown on vertical rock.

After the down climb it's easy traverse on the ledge for about 1km. Most of the parts are not protected here and there's a lot of vegetation.

Last part of route is in narrow ravine. I felt like in chimney there! It's rather easy, bridging is the key. It's about 50 meters climb and brings you to Mirador (Sant Jeroni) summit. It has a viewing platform and crowded on a good day. So hero welcome is guaranteed after climbing over the railings!

That's the end of the route. Route was reequiped earlier this year btw. Now it's in a very good standard in terms of pro.

GPX of route and some pics can be found here:
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4609311
Post edited at 11:37
 nutme 19 Oct 2015
If you have some specific questions about one or another route please ask. I have no idea if you can find anything decent in English, normally I just read in Spanish.
In reply to nutme:
Thanks for that. I have bought a map so will look for the route from where we are staying.
In reply to nutme:

There seems to be quite a few VFs but nearly all details seem to be in Spanish on the web or adverts from guides. The Teresina seems to be the best route as describes by nutme. Will take another look online. Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...