UKC

Harness recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 21 Oct 2015
Hi, any recommendations for a beginner- intermediate. Looking for an all round harness good for all climbing.
Cheers
 olddirtydoggy 21 Oct 2015
In reply to h.cook2000:

I understand Decathalon has some pretty cheap stuff thats good for a starter. Theres some second hand gear going on here as well. I started with a chunky Petzl harness with 2 gear loops on each side. For a starter I'd go with stiff gear loops rather than the floppy lightweight ones. Black Diamond Momentum AL looks like a good starter for all types of climbing.
 Hawky 22 Oct 2015
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
the momentum is my first harness and im still using it. Its a good enough harness the loops are ridgid the buckel is pretty good too. I did have alot of bother with it going on at the start. everytime I had it on the logo would be on a different leg it caused me some grief to be honest and I am now looking for a new one as the elastic at the back joining the legs to the waist is starting to fray it's worth the money for sure.
I'm looking at the renegade 2 now due to the extra gear loops and me mainly doing trad now.
ryan
Post edited at 05:46
 Otis 22 Oct 2015
In reply to h.cook2000:

The most important thing is how the harness fits. Beyond that, pretty much any harness out there will do what you're after at your current level (I.e. It'll work and Have a belay loop and a few gear loops).

What fits and works for one person might not work for you. The best advice is to head off to a reputable outdoor shop where the staff know their trade and try a few harnesses on. Most decent shops will have facilities for you to dangle in the harness too to check for fit and comfort. Try a few on, talk to the staff and buy one that fits well-decent staff will be happy to point out if you're about to buy something grossly inappropriate.

Hope this helps!

Mike.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Otis:

+1 to what Mike says. Also it's all about getting it comfortable not light!
 StuDoig 22 Oct 2015
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Like the other posters say, fit is all important. Though if it fits you, I've found the WC Renegade 2 to be an excellent all round harness (used for summer single/multi pitch, summer alpine, Scottish winter). Very adjustable and the floating waist belt makes it really easy to keep your gear loops in the right place regardless of layering.

Cheers,

Stu
 climbwhenready 22 Oct 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

> Like the other posters say, fit is all important. Though if it fits you, I've found the WC Renegade 2 to be an excellent all round harness (used for summer single/multi pitch, summer alpine, Scottish winter). Very adjustable and the floating waist belt makes it really easy to keep your gear loops in the right place regardless of layering.

That would be the DMM Renegade 2?
 StuDoig 22 Oct 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

Doh!! Yep DMM rather than WC!
OP Harry Cook 22 Oct 2015
In reply to ryan p:
I've been looking at the momentum is it the plain one you use or the sa or ds? Or al in the old style?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...