UKC

Thailand climbing - Krabi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jimrich88 27 Oct 2015
Hello,

Has anyone done any day (or a couple of days) trips from Phuket to Krabi to climb? Are there any particular companies that anyone has used recently and would recommend?

Cheers,

James
 1234None 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Jimrich88:

No, but I've done the journey in a taxi a few times. Cost the equivalent of about 50 quid (about 2000 - 2500 THB if I recall correctly, but that was a few years ago)

If you've got someone to climb with why not head to Koh Yao Noi instead of Tonsai/Railay. The climbing on Koh Yao is some of the best in Thailand and it's a very easy boat ride from Phuket for a day (or two) trip. Once on Koh Yao head for the main town in a cab and then rent a moped. Ride to Tha Kao village, then take the dirt road to the Paradise resort...can be exciting if it's muddy! The Mitt and several other crags are accessible this way. If you have 2 days, on the way to the crag on your first day call in at the small climbing shop in Tha Kao Village and see if they can arrange a boat to Grateful Wall for your next day.

Rob Morgan 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Jimrich88:

I recently went from Phuket to Krabi. We took the ferry from Phuket town which cost 1000 baht each (about £20). On the way, we stopped at Ko Phi Phi for a day (where there is some climbing as well), before carrying on. The ferry takes about 4-6 hours so is a bit slow, but the stopover made it better.

Another option would be getting a coach from Phuket to Krabi. It takes about 3 hours and is cheaper than the ferry or a taxi, though I can't quite remember how much (we did this on the way back).

Once you get to Krabi then grab a taxi to Ao Nang and get a longboat to Ton Sai. If you want to go to Railey, you can get a longboat from Ao Nam (careful as the two sound similar). Railey and Tonsai are within easy walking distance of eachother (best route is over the beach at low tide).

Koh Yao Noi sounds like a good suggestion but we didn't go there.
 cwarby 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Jimrich88:

I'll second Peakdj. Grateful wall is brilliant. Look up The Mountain Shop, I hired a guy and rope/draws through here, he had a boat and we had a great day.
Yours jealous
Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...