UKC

Hong Kong climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GordonAinslie 09 Nov 2015
Gonna be in Hong Kong for 5 days next week. Anyone got any experience of climbing there? After pretty central venues as we won't have our own car.

Heard lion rock is worth a visit? Anyone been there and can recommend what gear is useful?

Cheers
 Ian Parsons 10 Nov 2015
In reply to GordonAinslie:

If my experience from 20 years ago is still current, having no car shouldn't be a problem. Indeed; having one might be a liability!

Climbed many times on Lion Rock; about a half-hour uphill from Lok Fu MTR station. Mostly bolted. As I recall the only thing I did that required gear - the odd RP, maybe - was a new route that is now the top half of an F6b. Well worth a visit, and you'll probably only need draws. The ambience is trad - a bit Lake District, I thought - but with bolt protection; if that makes any sense!

When I was there Tung Lung Island provided the sport fare. It was only accessible at weekends via a ferry operated by Elvis - now deceased; I'm sure that access is up and running again, but I've no idea about how and when. The ferry ran from a town on the east side of Hong Kong Island of which I've forgotten the name, but it has an MTR station. [MTR=Underground].

Shek-o, on the southeast corner of Hong Kong Island (the spelling's a guess) is a bit Cornwally. Fairly normal-looking granite down by the sea. I think it's mostly bolted. On my first visit I fell of something soloing - probably not bolted - and spent a few days in hospital; on my one and only return visit - somewhat fitter - I successfully soloed the offending (very easy!) route (still probably not bolted) and did something else (bolted!). At the time one arrived there by following the MTR down the east side of the island to its terminus, then getting a bus over the hill. The UKC database suggests that it's a bouldering venue, but the main bit isn't.

None of these venues would have been more easily approached by car; one would simply have had the added problem of where to leave it. There appears to have been a lot of climbing development in the intervening years, but I doubt that the parking/commuter problems have eased!
 David Lanceley 10 Nov 2015
In reply to GordonAinslie:

The following link is useful;

http://hongkongclimbing.com/

Mid-November is the perfect time of year for HK climbing. Also some excellent hill walking within easy reach of the City.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...