UKC

Best resort for combining piste & touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Carless 10 Nov 2015

Which are the good places for combining people who want to stay on piste and others who want good day tours but all still want to meet up at end of the day?

Chamonix/Argentiere obviously but where else?

Thanks
 DaveHK 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

I've done what you describe in:

Tigne / Espace Killy.
Courmayeur.
Val Thorens (if you can stand the architecture).
Verbier.

All were good.

There are English language guidebooks for touring / off-piste in Espace Killy and Val Thorens.
 kathrync 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Second Espace Killy for this. Loads of good itineraries that can be accessed with only a short hike from the lifts as well as tours and extensive pistes. Don't think it matter whether you stay in Tignes or Val d'Isere - whichever is cheapest at the time.
 inboard 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Depending on time of year (and therefore altitude for good snow), several places in Austria ideal for this. Loads of nice day tours around Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel, better early season. In fact most of Tirol would suit. Check out the rother ski tour guidebooks, or panico ones (both in German but with good maps etc)
 JuneBob 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

It probably depends a little bit on what you define as a good tour. Going up big peaks? Wide powder lines? Tree skiing? Couloirs?
Saas Fee is good for some nice 4000m tours, especially if you can negotiate one night away in a hut.
Verbier has some nice day tours, like Rosablanche, and also some extreme stuff like Bec des Rosses as well as easily accessible side country/itineraries. If you have a car you could do some fun tree skiing in Champex Lac too.
Gressoney has a very high cable car station that accesses a bunch of great tours, including a bunch of 4000m peaks.
I've only tried side country in Zermatt, but with so many accessible peaks there must be some excellent tours there.

Those are the only places I've toured in in the Alps.
 AdrianC 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Have a look at Alagna.
 london_huddy 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

La Plagne is surprisingly good for day tours
Andermatt, Davos and other central Swiss resorts also worth a look...
 Misha 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:
Serre Chevalier if you have a car to move a round a bit for the day tours.
 dsh 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Niseko and Rusutsu
 Tim Davies 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Les contamines is pretty good. There's a decent French off piste guide for the area. Well worth a day out from Chamonix
 DaveHK 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:

I think the touring is great around Les Contamines.
OP Carless 11 Nov 2015
Thanks all

Plenty of food for thought

Rich W Parker 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Stubai.
 Doug 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:

Not the Alpes, but somewhere in Andorra might be an option, especially if you had a hire car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...