UKC

VBL Socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 11 Nov 2015
I want to experiment with vapour barrier socks this winter. Partly to prevent boots being too damp/frozen when I put them back on in the morning after sleeping in the car/tent, and partly to experiment with them for use on longer trips.

Has anyone used them before and can recommend a decent brand, or tips on using them? Thanks.
afghanidan 11 Nov 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
I use them cross country skiing in Norway with leather boots and find them very effective. I have really cold feet.

I use an inner wool sock, a pair of these:
http://www.needlesports.com/495/products/rbh-designs-vaprthrm-hi-rise-insul...
...and thick walking socks over the other two pairs.

The RBL socks are fleece with a VB layer and have lasted well. I use them each day for upto ten days (camping, no washing) without problems other than very smelly feet. As long as you dry your feet off and chnge socks each evening, its OK.
Post edited at 23:54
 IainL 12 Nov 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

If you are only experimenting, try plastic bags between two pairs of socks. Inner socks get damp but protect feet from bags. If boots are wet, have another bag on top of outer socks, ie plastic bag sandwich, so that you have at least one warm dry sock.
OP NottsRich 12 Nov 2015
In reply to afghanidan:

Thanks, useful information there, much appreciated.

Iain, I hate the feeling of plastic bags making socks slip and slide inside boots, I've tried it before. Are VBL socks any better/less slippy than polyethelyne plastic bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...