UKC

Month Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gazfellows 18 Nov 2015

Has anyone been on a guided ascent of Mont Blanc as me and the wife have it booked for next August! We're both climbers of many years but this is the first time we've ventured on to the other side. My wife doesn't know yet as it's a suprise for Christmas. Really looking forward to it and would really appreciate some advise or the odd tip or too. Thanks
Post edited at 15:17
Lusk 18 Nov 2015
In reply to gazfellows:

How are you going to get her acclimatised for the altitude?
It will be a surprise for her rolling up in Chamonix then legging it straight up Mont Blanc!!!
OP gazfellows 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Lusk:

We're there for 8 days mate. 3 lower peaks then MB!!
In reply to gazfellows:
Back when I was 17 a friend and I wanted to do Mont Blanc and the parents wouldn't let us go alone. We went with guides. We planned to do it up and down in a day but our guide hurt his ankle so we had to stop a the Tete Rousse for a new guide to come and take us. Frustrating because we could have quite easily carried on alone. This delay meant staying at the TR for 18 hours.

Otherwise, not much to report. They take care of everything for you and remove any kind of potential for drama and offer peace of mind. Their acclimatisation schedule was very good. We were in tip top condition by the time we went up MB. Definitely something we would have messed up left to ourselves...

The route we took (Gouter) was a long walk really.

Nice views from the top!
Post edited at 15:47
OP gazfellows 19 Nov 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Thanks..
In reply to gazfellows:

Have a good time! Which guiding firm are you off with?
 Ben_Climber 20 Nov 2015
In reply to gazfellows:

Make sure the hut is arranged in advance. The Gouter and Tete Rousse huts get booked up quickly (Presuming you are taking the Gouter route up?). You can book these online and i seem to remember booking for the season opens around Apr/May.

If you are taking a guide then they should sort this.

How much walking/ mountaineering have you done? Do you need a guide?

Ben
 Mark Haward 21 Nov 2015
In reply to gazfellows:

Your profile suggests you are an experienced and capable rock climber. MB more about proficient crampon and axe skills over a longish day. The Gouter and Three Monts Routes are mostly walking, albeit sometimes exposed. The Three Monts has a short steeper section of about 50 - 75 metres ( one axe is usually fine here and there is often a fixed rope ) and sometimes one or two very short steep sections in the lower section. The Gouters has an hour or two of modest scrambling about grade 1 at most but it feels a lot harder if snowy or icy.
If you don't have / want to purchase mountain boots / axe and crampons they can be hired in the alps and your guide will show you how to use them. You could even go a few days before your guided week, hire the kit and do some self teaching (excellent books and videos out there, perhaps get the Bruce Goodlad book ). However, I suggest some winter walking and develop crampon and axe skills beforehand if you can. You could move onto some easy winter routes / scrambles but not really necessary. Aim for long days on the hill (8-12 hours) walking, running, scrambling or linking routes if you like.
Enjoy
 RuthW 21 Nov 2015
In reply to gazfellows:
I tried to go to Mont Blanc this August, but the weather was far too hot and the conditions were supposedly dangerous due to everything melting - The Gouter hut was closed for some long stretches because of this - so the guides said it was a no go and took us else where - For what it is worth, they suggested September or June would be more dependable (i.e. less hot)

Of course - it could be freezing next year, so who knows!
Post edited at 16:43
 ScraggyGoat 23 Nov 2015
As others have mentioned in good weather, and underfoot conditions its not really about technical ability (provided you have basic crampon skills).

The thing that will make the biggest difference is hill-fitness. Get in long 10-12 hour hill days with, plenty of ascent, descent and reascent. Also do shorter days but pushing yourself hard e.g. top of a munro with no breaks as quick as you can. Try and get to the point where 600-900m of ascent has you buzzing rather than dragging.

That way if you're acclimitised you won't be knackered, will enjoy it, and if needs be you'll have plenty of reserve in the tank.

But trying to do that without your wife smelling a rat that your not going climbing again, will be difficult!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...