UKC

via ferratta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
senojyrret 21 Nov 2015
I am hoping to organise a Via Ferratta trip next September with a few retired friends. The other halves want to tag along for a holiday - light walking, sight seeing etc.. We will drive from UK to the area. We would like to book a self catering chalet. From skiing - I know many of the Alpine ski resorts and wonder if anyone can recommend an area where:-
1. There is a good range of via ferratta routes in an area - we are mainly cavers with some rusty climbing skills. We have not VF'd before but are comfortable in exposed situations
2. There is good, comfortable accommodation bookable. -any recommendations where to book.
3. There are some touristy things for those not climbing to entertain them selves whilst we are climbing.
 Trangia 21 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

Try Corvara.

Loads of VF and good walking.

The campsite does self catering chalets.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

I think the Dolomites is hard to beat for via ferrata. Article here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6918

Corvara as Trangia says is great as is Jon's suggestion of staying with Mike (also a great location). If you wanted something organised Colletts Mountain Holidays are worth a google and provide self catering accommodation.

Have fun wherever you end up!
 tizer 21 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

I agree with the others. It's a fantastic area. We stayed in Arraba this year and did some great climbing / VF. We did however, get caught out by a huge cycling event that closed all of the roads, making reaching the crags a bit tricky. I think they're quite frequent, so check for these. Great food and wine. Enjoy!

Neil Williams 21 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

Lake Garda? We got somewhere off Airbnb, thus far I have not been disappointed going that way.

Neil
 Brass Nipples 22 Nov 2015
In reply to tizer:

> I agree with the others. It's a fantastic area. We stayed in Arraba this year and did some great climbing / VF. We did however, get caught out by a huge cycling event that closed all of the roads, making reaching the crags a bit tricky. I think they're quite frequent, so check for these. Great food and wine. Enjoy!

That will be Maratona, first or second weekend in July.
 Oujmik 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

There's a sweet spot for Dolomites VF and luckily for you it's in September! You need to try and get the more stable autumn weather system (i.e. not stormy in the afternoons) but get in before the lifts close. We missed the lifts, but the beautiful weather and quiet routes made up for having to stick to lower altitudes (seems a bit of a mystery why they don't push this time of year as their 'summer season' and keep the lifts open). We stayed in Cortina - quite a pleasant base for the non-climbers as it has lots of shops and some local strolling available.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Also the Sella Ronda races in June and September. Though they're a spectacle worth seeing not avoiding (providing you plan accordingly).
 Brass Nipples 22 Nov 2015
In reply to James

> Also the Sella Ronda races in June and September. Though they're a spectacle worth seeing not avoiding (providing you plan accordingly).

Didn't know about those. Which pros took part this year?

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Ah it's an amateur race. They close all 4 passes around the Sella for it though. Usually about 10,000 cyclists taking part.

http://www.sellarondabikeday.com/en/
 Dave Mahon 24 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

Vallouise is good bet. Have taken the family there for the last two years. Surrounded by lots of VF, mountain biking, walking up to glaciers, lake swimming, rafting etc. 5km up the road is Ailefroide, a Yosemite like climbing village. I have stayed with Alpbase, run by Gerry Gore. He knows the area backwards and will give you an itinerary for your stay according to your needs. A bit of a drive but nearer than the Dolomites and probably cheaper.

http://www.alpbase.com/
http://www.viaferrata-fr.net/cartefrance.php
 peterj 25 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret:

Another vote for Mike's place

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/

We stayed there this summer and had a great time on VF, climbing and walking.
 Casa Alfredino 25 Nov 2015
In reply to senojyrret: I see my work here is done Good time to go, September is in my opinion the best time for the Dolomites. It is a long way to drive, and for a week i tend to fly down as our place is only 1.45 hours from treviso or venice. Having spent the majority of my life going to Pelvoux where my family had a chalet, yes its good there, but the vf is totally different. They are much more sporting events to do when you are having a day off from cragging or mountaineering. There aren't that many of them and they are fairly well spread out. Yes i'm massively biased but theres a reason that since I was 20 I've been to the Dolomites over 20 times now - I've lost count - and started a business there to share my passion. Just in our Valley you can access the West ridge of Marmolada, the Vf Eterna and the vf delle Trincee, three of the best in the Dolomites. In the other direction there are the civetta and moiazza routes, falzarego is only 25 minutes drive, corvara is 45, Passo sella is 40, Canazei is 25, theres just masses to do and in some of the best terrain imaginable for it. Cost wise, Italy is no different (having experienced both extensively).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...