UKC

Knee brace for osteoarthritis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phil kujawa 22 Nov 2015
Does anyone use a knee brace for hiking or on approach to climbing areas as I had a knee athroscopy a year ago and was told not to run anymore re onset of osteoarthritis but still find it painful getting to and from climbs even though I can bend the affected knee more when climbing post operation.
Cheers for any advice
 Mountain Llama 22 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

Hi Phil

I do not use a knee brace but using poles on the approach may help.

I have also found taking chondroitin and glucosamine help.

Cheers Davey
 melocoton 22 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:
I take ibuprofen for a couple of days before I know I'm going on a hike or to do a big walk in, I use trekking poles whenever I'm carrying a heavy sac, and always for downhill whatever I'm carrying, and I strap both my knees up with neoprene wrap around supports fastened with Velcro that I got from Argos for about £12 each. My GP sent me to physio when I was diagnosed and I do the exercises periodically for a few weeks whenever it gets bad again. Approach shoes/ walking boots with a really well cushioned sole are a good idea. The combination of these things all helps but mostly I end up gritting my teeth and getting on with it. I stopped running 2 and a half years ago and find even a gentle jog really uncomfortable now. I'm considering investing in the sort of knee braces that have articulated metal rods down the sides for skiing but I reckon I've got a few more years before surgery becomes necessary. On the plus side I have no pain whatsoever climbing. Oh, and I take glucosamine and chondroitin as well.
If you're looking for a non impact alternative to running I bought a good Cross Trainer and I find it does the job really well.
Post edited at 20:42
 arch 23 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

Climbed/Walked up most of Snowdoina in a product from this company.

http://www.kneeshop.com/shop-by-braces-and-supports/knee-braces.htm

They're from the States, but I rang them and they sorted me out. Iv'e had ACL and PCL reconstruction on my right knee. They recommended one of these.
http://www.kneeshop.com/donjoy-armor-w-lo-pro-fource-point-hinge.htm

Not cheap and add on customs as well. We had it delivered to a friend who lived in Florida then picked it up when we were over there on holiday.

I've played Golf in it as well, there are very good.
 nniff 23 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

Walking poles and ibuprofen for me. Cycling has made a difference in generally strengthening things up. Running's off the agenda now really.
Andrew Kin 23 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:
I can't post pictures here for some reason but I have a lot of knee issues. Had a full rupture of the patella tendon in the right knee. Lateral release and 2 orthoscopies (sp) on the right. That's my good knee now because the trauma of the snapped tendon straightened things out (it's a complete guess putting it back together). Just google it to see.

Left knee has always been similar trouble but I stopped the sport before it snapped too. I was popping pills to stave off pain and told I would need to be in a car crash to snap the tendon (I had tendinitis in both knees). I managed it.

Anyhow left is now screwed. It has serious osteoarthritis in the outside of the knee and it as I have a shallow channel of the knee cap it doesn't track well. I am in constant pain. It's had a couple of orthoscopies but it's bone on bone now

My dad has a replacement knee, my younger brother has knee issues and my older brother had this op 2yrs ago http://www.cumbriankneeclinic.co.uk/high-tibial-osteotomy.html

I am due to have mine on 15th of December and am crapping myself.

I have a much nicer version of the support linked above. Makes me feel like robocop and tbh I hate it. Stops the pain but also stops any comfort doing any sport so counter productive. I wore it for 2mths solid and hated every minute of it. As I say mine is much nicer and more sophisticated but it's horrible imo.

Went for a consultant appt recently and was telling them how I hate it and said I wasn't sleeping or able to do anything without the pain. They gave me a much smaller version which I am much happier with. Basically a tight knee support with none intrusive metal braces either side. Not as effective as the full month but much easier to live with.

If you message me I can send you pics of the both.

Also look into what has caused the arthritis. 80%of my knee is nice and clean. 20% has taken the wear of 40yrs of running sports. A simple waist down X-ray answered the question
Post edited at 21:37
OP phil kujawa 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:
Thanks for that I don't fancy the thoughts of a
Osteotomy and as it says in the article they have gone out of favour but good luck with your op.

I crashed my mountain bike on a downhill run and managed to crack the inside of my left knee with the bike frame but when they operated they diagnosed OA in the inner compartment caused by year's of running and also that my left leg is slightly bow shaped.

Other people have recommended taking glucosamine and chondroitin which I did prior to this so it may or may not have prevented the onset of OA

Thanks for all the advice
 AlanLittle 24 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

In my case the orthopaedist said yes. Physio said no, should try to do as much as possible without external stabilisation as lreying on it weakens the supporting musculature.

I compromise and wear a support downhill but not uphill.
 Mr. Lee 24 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

There are osteoarthritis braces specifically for offloading one or other compartment of the knee. No good therefore for more advanced OA where both compartments are affected. You can get via an NHS orthotics department but might need to go via an ortho consultant first. Donjoy, Breg and Össur are a few manufacturers of such braces. They're worn for pain reduction rather than preventing onset and best worn just during painful activities.
 Stone Idle 25 Nov 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

All good advice but in addition have a look at Apos Therapy. Not cheap but non-invasive and I am pretty much pain free after being unable to descend any type of steep ground. A friend had the replacement knee op and is fine but has been warned that he is likely to wear his new knee out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...