UKC

How to revive winter softshell trousers (Patagonia Mixmasters)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 22 Nov 2015
I've used a pair of Patagonia Mixmaster "pants" for winter climbing for the last 3-4 years or so. They have been excellent up until this year when I've noticed the wind cutting right through them. I don't remember it being so bad in previous years and I even patched the many holes I counted on them before going out.

Does anyone know if it is possible to restore, I suppose, the windproof qualities of softshell material? Would spraying them with Nicwax TX spray do this or just help with dampness? I'm concerned that years of abrasion / use has more or less stripped the surface off the outer material, particularly around the thighs which seems to be a lighter material than the lower leg.

I am considering sticking a pair of light baselayer legging on underneath but I have never found the need for this before as they are lined with R1 fleece and it might make them a bit too warm on walk ins.

Unfortunately, if I can't get them sorted I'll probably have to retire them though I'd be a bit gutted as they have been faultless up until now. I also doubt they'd be covered by warranty as they are ancient and very well used - originally bought second hand.
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Has the power shield fabric delaminated? My MM and Core Skin jackets have done this, and are now noticeably less wind resistant. The WR came from the 'perforated membrane, aka the layer of lamination glue. The glue seems to have perished.
OP Brian Pollock 22 Nov 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Quite possibly in the thighs. It wasn't even that windy on Saturday and my thighs were suffering.
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Delamination is pretty obvious; the face fabric and the fleece lining are obviously no longer bonded like they should be.

I'm used to fabric items simply wearing through, so it's disappointing that the fabric has simply failed.
 Damo 23 Nov 2015

> Has the power shield fabric delaminated? ...The WR came from the 'perforated membrane, aka the layer of lamination glue. The glue seems to have perished.

That would be my guess. I used MM pants on several Antarctic trips, so 70 days of living and climbing in them in harsh UV and lots of sweat, then 300 days stored in a barrel. The DWR wore off quite early, but later you could feel the layers come apart and they felt a bit crinkly. Then rats ate them.
 galpinos 23 Nov 2015

We're they Powershield? I don't remember the fleece in my jacket being laminated, i seem to remember it being seen at the seems and would hangs free but my memory could be wrong. The winter guide I replaced it with had the fleece laminated to the outer and was a much inferior jacket.

To the OP:

My Mixmastwr Jacket went the same way, the outer was so thin by the end, through abrasion I guess and maybe UV, I had to retire it. Sad day!
In reply to galpinos:

> We're they Powershield? I don't remember the fleece in my jacket being laminated

Digs out old Patagonia blurb for my version of the MM (earlier versions may not have been bonded):

<quote>
Our premier alpine soft shell for winter-conditions climbing from Chamonix to the Hayes Range combines an improved, stretchier outer shell that's windproof and water-resistant, bonded throughout to an updated R2® insulation that glides more easily over layers. Heavier fabric reinforces shoulders and sleeves, while zippers are now reverse-coil and have a water-repellent Deluge® DWR finish. Gusseted wrists feature light, soft and anatomically contoured hook-and-loop closures. The jacket's weight -- as a single piece -- is half that of a conventional combo of hard shell with separate fleece insulation. It's also highly compressible and breathable, with an Optipull two-way adjustable roll-down hood, ventilating torso pockets and a removable between-the-legs strap to hold the jacket in place. The improved fit has a contour that's trim but not restrictive, and allows for underlayers.

Our warmest insulated soft shell providing water resistance and moisture transport in winter conditions.

Use it for:

Ice, Mixed, & Alpine Climbing
Expedition Climbing
Mountaineering

Updated shell fabric for improved stretch performance and mobility; Insulated throughout with updated R2® fabric; It's less directional for a smoother glide over layers

Heavier fabric reinforcements on shoulders and down sleeves; 2-way adjustable, roll down hood accomodates a helmet

Redesigned, insulated collar is more contoured for comfort; Chin and front zip are offset to the left for layering comfort

Reverse coil, Deluge® DWR water-repellant zippers throughout; Gusseted wrists with perforated hook-and-loop closures are light, soft, and anatomically contoured for increased mobility

Pockets: two hand pockets, two chest pockets, and an internal pocket with stretch mesh; Elastic on the sides allows trim torso fit and keeps the two torso pockets open for ventilation when unzipped

Drawcord hem adjustment; Droptail hem

Removable between-the-legs elastic strap keeps jacket in place; 10-oz. 40 X 30 denier (reinforcements: 10.2-oz. 80 x 50 denier) 70% polyester, 30% nylon stretch-woven shell (Polartec® Power Shield®) bonded to single-sided R2 (Polartec Power Dry®) insulation; Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish

723 g. (25.5 oz.)
</quote>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...