UKC

Instructing Insurance for working in Hong Kong

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 purple sue 26 Nov 2015
I'm a recently qualified SPA exploring the possibility of working in Hong Kong. Mountain Training insurance won't cover me here, nor can I find any insurance yet to cover climbing school operations out here. Has anyone got any advice on how to get around this problem or can offer any advice?
 Morgan Woods 26 Nov 2015
In reply to purple sue:

I would be very surprised if any SPA equivalents operate formally in HK. Maybe check with the climbing walls there if they offer any outdoor intro course or would like to and what might be the insurance implications. There is a basic wall at the YMCA but things may have changed since I was there last.
 jezb1 26 Nov 2015
In reply to purple sue:

There's a well known outdoor centre in HK (although the name escapes me, Google will tell you), maybe get in touch with them.
 Climber_Bill 26 Nov 2015
In reply to purple sue:

Have you tried going direct to Perkins Slade? I know a number of instructors with UK based awards have used Perkins Slade to get insurance to cover them working overseas. The cost is higher and the process longer, but it did used to be possible.

Hope the long Spanish trip earlier this year went well and we can catch up before you depart for more exotic climes / climbs

TJB.

P.S Who will look after your van whilst you are away?
 lanky and weak 26 Nov 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Asian Pacific Adventures?
OP purple sue 26 Nov 2015
Many thanks for the suggestions everyone. Some I've tried already, others I've yet to try. Perkins slade can't offer any help. It's a possible new business I'm exploring an opportunity with. I've less than a week to sort some sort of cheap accommodarion and solve the insurance conundrum. There's always plan b to fall back on back home, but I rather like the idea of escaping the UK winter whilst working out here. Spain was great. No regrets with the 'career change' yet. Cheers, Sue.

OP purple sue 26 Nov 2015
P.S.
Van is tucked up in a local farmers field, hopefully safe and sound.

Toby_W 26 Nov 2015
In reply to purple sue:

Just got back from HK and you're giving me flashbacks to watching un-secured men slashing the plastic ribbons with their stanley knives that hold the bamboo scaffolding together 22 floors up as they remove it.

Cheers

Toby
OP purple sue 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

I too am fascinated by the bamboo scaffolding, but hadn't realised that was the way they removed it! Although a lot of similarities to the UK can be drawn, I don't think the health and safety at work culture (or hostel accommodation for that matter) is quite the same..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...