UKC

Things to know about Spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NZClimber 29 Nov 2015
Hi Guys!

Myself and a friend are living in Sheffield from New Zealand, but are heading to Spain in febuary for 2-3 months of climbing and touring.
Now coming from the other side of the world where there is pretty much nothing to worry about and can camp anywhere/drink water etc etc. I am completely unaware of any precautions to take.

I am planning a large majority of the time spent in the southern areas (costa blanca) and check out Albarcian etc.
Travelling in a car, sleeping in car/tent

so needing to know a few of the basics.
-Freedom camping, is it legal? or do I need to stay at camp sites that cost?
-Water.... can you drink the tap water comfortablly or do you need to boil it, or do you just drink bottled water?
-animals... are there any to worry about climbing/camping. snakes, spiders etc? (I know they have a couple, but is it something you need to constantly worry about or is it a rarity to see them)
-people, is there anything I need to watch out for in the more populated areas.... security and safety wise?
-anything else I should know?

Some of this may just be severly overthinking on my part, but other than NZ (my home) and here in Sheffield I havent explored the world much so have much to learn! so any advice or recomendations would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Rob
 IPPurewater 29 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

I don't know the south of Spain well, but I've had no trouble bivvying, wild camping or sleeping in the car in northern spain. Hopefully someone who does know the south can give more specific info.

I usually drink mineral water. In certain places I have drunk spring water but only after asking the locals if it is ok.

There are 13 types of snake in Spain, five poisonous, only three deadly (various types of Viper). There are also Black Widow and Brown Recluse spiders, Scorpions which give a nasty sting but are not deadly, and Centipedes. However, I've never encountered any of these in about twenty trips there.

Take the usual precautions with belongings in the car i.e. leave nothing in sight, and don't park where there is broken window glass, and you should be ok.

This link may be of use. http://www.zonasdeescalada.com/
 coinneach 29 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:
Animals . . . .

Look out for the bulls.

They're mental.
Post edited at 20:30
 Trangia 29 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

These comments apply mainly to the south where I have traveled and climbed extensively:-

Dogs - in the country and mountains watch out for the sheep guard dogs. They are big, look like half wolves and can be aggressive. Carry a hefty stick.

Snakes - often seen them, some quite big, but as has been said most are harmless. The Vipers are dangerous species, but fortunately also shy. Google the Spanish ones so that you can recognize them. Most will probably still be hibernating when you go.

Wild Boar. Common in the south. Generally shy and run away, but dangerous if cornered. I've encountered lots, but never felt threatened. When wild camping do not leave food lying around or in your tent when you are away from it.

Bulls. Rarely come across them but on the the farms raising fighting bulls I've heard they should be avoided.

Bees. You often come across beehives in the country. Be sensible when skirting around them. I've never had a problem, apart from once having a scary run in with a wild bees nest on a climb. Unlikely to be very active when you are going.

Cars. I've been broken into three times in 20 years so I re-iterate the advice not to leave anything in sight in the car. Take out the parcel shelf and leave the glove compartment open so that anyone looking in can see there is nothing of value in the car. Remove the car hire company's stickers, thieves tend to target hire cars.

Police. Spanish police often put up road blocks for random checks, so always carry all the car paperwork with you, and your passport and driving licence. Obey speed limits, speed traps are fairly common and they are difficult to spot being painted dull grey with no advance warning.

Tailgating. Seems to be a national hobby.

Overnight accommodation. The truck stops look scruffy and uninviting but rooms are clean and good value for money, cheaper than hotels.

Siesta - be aware that banks are usually only open in the morning, and most shops close for much of the afternoon re-opening in the early evening.

Snow - If there is snow on mountain roads, there will be warning signs. Be aware that you can be fined if you venture onto them without snow chains. Even in the south cold snaps can occur between Feb and April. Treat the high mountains like the Sierra Nevada with respect and dress accordingly. Deaths from exposure do occur all too frequently. Also heavy rainfall can occur with flash flooding.

Camping. A lot of the camp sites close for the winter re-opening at Easter.

Language. On the costa touristy areas English is widely spoken but it is not in the inland areas. An English/Spanish phrase book is invaluable, and it's worth learning basic phrases like greetings, ordering coffee/beers etc.

Gypsys. They sometimes hang around places like supermarket car parks. Usually women and beware of pickpockets if they accost you.

The Spanish people. Usually very friendly and welcoming, particularly if you make some effort to address them in Spanish.

Tapas. Yummy !
Removed User 29 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:
Food: if you order roast pork, it will be probably be served rare to still bleeding. It is utterly delicious and I've eaten tons of it with no ill effects, but it can be a shock if you come from a cook-it-to-death North European culinary tradition.

Spaniards are hospitable friendly people, compared to us reserved northerners they are very loud and don't have the same concept of personal space that we do. If you find bullfighting repugnant (as do I), keep it to yourself; many Spaniards are very passionate about it and nothing riles them more than foreigners telling them what they shouldn't do.

Extremes of temperature. Inland Spain can get both insanely hot and cold. Ronda last February is a contender for the coldest I've ever been in a town. Conversely I've had serious heatstroke on a sunny route on Hogmanay.
Post edited at 22:40
 Dell 29 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

Pollo - Chicken
Polla - Penis

Try not to get those mixed up!
Wiley Coyote2 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Dell:

> Pollo - Chicken

> Polla - Penis

> Try not to get those mixed up!

One of the mysteries of life. Why on earth is penis feminine in Spanish? Foreigners, eh!
Donald82 30 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

Hi, the tap waters fine. Spanish people are always a bit bemused when Brits won't drink it.
Wiley Coyote2 30 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

> -Water.... can you drink the tap water comfortablly or do you need to boil it, or do you just drink bottled water?

Tap water is fine though in some areas you may find it has a bit of a salty/mineral taste, in which case mineral water is better and it's cheap enough in supermarkets, especially in 5ltr or 8 ltr bottles.

> -animals... are there any to worry about climbing/camping. snakes, spiders etc? (I know they have a couple, but is it something you need to constantly worry about or is it a rarity to see them)

There are some poisonous snakes but you're more likely to see them squashed on the roads than on the crags. Statistically bees kill more people.

> -people, is there anything I need to watch out for in the more populated areas.... security and safety wise?

By and large Spaniards are friendly but as ever there are always a few wrong 'uns about anywhere. Take sensible precautions but don't get paranoid.

You'll get a long way with Por favor (please) Gracias (Thank you) and Lo siento (I'm sorry)

Al Evans 30 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

Most of what others have said, just a couple to add, I drink tap water every day, have done for 10 years, seems no problem. Maps are crap, the normal road maps are generally ok but if you are looking for OS accuracy you will be dissapointed. The UK language guides are probably the best bet.
 mike123 30 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:
Excellent replies, my first thought was " remember there's a lot more to cragging in Spain than the Costa blanca and el chorro " , both are excellent and my last several visits have been to either mainly because both are very easy and cheap to get to . however, driving down and with a good length of time you are going to pass by several world class areas . Off the top of my head : montenajos , chullia, riglos, terradettes , siruana ......the list is a big one. Ask on here for more and info, someone will have been recently ..
Post edited at 13:21
 KA 30 Nov 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

No problem with car/van camping in and around Albarracín. The bouldering is brilliant, and not too far from the town itself, although far enough that plenty of folk were van/car camping without the feeling of disturbing the locals. There is a small, but nice camp-site in town for the odd shower and to refill water bottles etc, otherwise, there are a few taps/fountains in the town itself, but I seem to remember very few of them working...
NZClimber 01 Dec 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

Thanks everyone for the replies! they are very much appreciated!!

and as one person mentioned about some other places to see... if anyone has good recommendations of places that arent so well known then Im all ears!!

I will be searching for something in the 7c+ / 8a (maybe a bit ambitious) to project, however my partner is looking at something around 7a to project so although we want to travel and see some places, we are also wanting to find a nice spot we can frequent for a week or 2 to really focus on some strength and maybe a successful climb or 2!!

also if anyone has any thoughts on 'MUST DOs' for the od rest day.... my knowledge is still very limited of the area as you will have probably noticed!

Thanks again to everyone! very helpful
 Fruit 01 Dec 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

If you are staying near Calpe the Bernia Ridge is a great day out as is the long route (trad I think) up the Piug Campana above Benidorm
 IPPurewater 02 Dec 2015
In reply to NZClimber:
You might like Montanejos, especially 'El Estrecho de Mijares'. Check in the link I gave you above for more info.

There is a refuge on the edge of the village (Refugio de Maimona) where it may still be possible to get a guidebook or at least copy some topos.
Post edited at 23:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...