UKC

Donate some Nuts or hexes to a young climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015

Hello, I am a 16 year old climber and have recently been getting into Trad climbing and have found that gear is really expensive. I have managed to scrape up enough money to get some quick draws and I already had a couple of nuts and hexes from my dads old climbing days. I also found pretty much an entire set of cams on a crag so I kept them (Crag swag rules...) I was wondering if anyone had any nuts that they were willing to donate so that I can try some longer and harder routes.

Thankyou,

Robin
Post edited at 18:14
 muppetfilter 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Hi robin, i was your age once. I used to push trolleys around ASDA carpark on saturday and sunday , this "Job" as it was called in the late 80's paid money that you can take to climbing shops in exchange for gear.
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to muppetfilter:

Hahaha, im am 15 but will be 16 in about a week. I have tried getting jobs but unfortunately all the health and safety nonsense in the world only allows us to get jobs when we are 16 otherwise insurance wont cover it...
 BnB 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Robin, I don't know the whole story and you may indeed have made appropriate efforts, but if you think it okay to swipe someone's entire set of cams without trying to return them to the owner then please think again. A wire abandoned in a crack that you manage to liberate, that is crag swag. A full set of cams, without efforts to find the owner, that's theft. Do you not think the owner would likely have come back the in the near future once he/she discovered their loss?
 Rick Graham 29 Nov 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Robin, I don't know the whole story and you may indeed have made appropriate efforts,

Here we go again.

He appears to understand the rules.

Fair play to him, the best I managed at his age was to find and rescue some stuck and benighted climbers, we let them go
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to BnB:
My climbing friend saw them in Castle crack about a month ago, they had no biners or quick draws attached to them so we waited around for an hour or so to see if anyone was coming back for them but no one did so we abseiled down from the top and retrieved them, they were covered in dirt and had been there for a good few weeks at least, they cleaned up nicely.
 Martin Haworth 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:
I have quite a few spare nuts, what sizes are you short of, micro, small, medium?
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Hey, I dont mind really, what every you think would work best in gritstone. I only have 3 medium sized ones at the moment and they get used quite a lot.

Thankyou

Robin
In reply to RobinBrooks:
I can give you half a dozen assorted wires, an oval racking carabiner, a 3.5 friend with a broken wire. Email me through this site and I will send you my phone number to arrange collection. I can leave them somewhere like behind the counter at Outside shop at Hathersage.

In return, when you are older and stronger and leading hard E grades you can drag me up a route,
In reply to RobinBrooks:
All ready to go and all in reasonable nick:
Rock 2,9,10.
2 micros
3 assorted nuts about rock 3 or 4 size
3.5 friend, good nick apart from one wire
Large oval carabiner

OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin Haworth:

I have emailed you through the website about them.
Lusk 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Do you need some ropes?
I've got a pair of Beal Cobras, only used once.
They've been hung on my conservatory wall, untouched, for the last five years.
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Wait, you have an entire set of cams, quickdraws and some nuts and hexes, and you're on here begging for gear? Nuts are barely a tenner each, and you would only need a few to make your set up, and at least you would know the history of the equipment you're climbing above. Unless you're extremely good for your age you won't need a tonne of gear (apparently you can solo VS so your bold nature should help here), and what about the real expenses ie rope, shoes etc. With Christmas round the corner I'm sure someone could have helped you complete your rack, or just toproped/climbed with friends gear until you got a job.

Actually forget all that. Brb - will return with links to kickstarter pages so everyone here can donate towards my middle class hobbies.
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Lusk:

I have emailed you through the website
 danm 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Fair play to you for not getting phased by the usual judgemental responses on here. I've got some old but serviceable gear kicking around which you are welcome to have. PM me to arrange getting it to you.
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to danm:

Thank you, I have emailed you through the site
Brend 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Reading this thread has made me bitter, but only because I didn't think of doing it first!

Hope you put all this free gear to good use. As a skint newbie myself I'll keep my fingers crossed I find a full set of cams on a crag with an untraceable owner soon.

A part of me is pleased to see a youngster begging for free climbing gear to continue with his outdoor hobbies, makes a change from most of the kids only begging for adults to buy them booze and fags I suppose!
 Brass Nipples 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

What grade do you lead?
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
I have lead one HVS which is the hardest climb that we have at the crag where I can get to.

There is a slab here which is claimable and looks pretty hard but there is no cracks or pockets to place any protection.

I have sent a couple of 7a-7b+ in the gym and have been working on trying to send a 7c-8a soon.

Robin,
Post edited at 21:41
Removed User 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

> I also found pretty much an entire set of cams on a crag so I kept them (Crag swag rules...).

This sounds highly improbable. However, assuming all is as you say it is, I'm sure there is a reasonable chance that the owner of said cams will eventually see or be made aware of this thread, and as you have posted under your own name you will be easy to trace, assuming of course that the owner doesn't abide by the same crag swag rules as you.
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed User:

If the owner becomes aware of them then I am happy to give them back to them no questions asked. It is the right thing to do...
Removed User 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

Fair play to you. Good luck with your climbing.
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Thank you, Be safe
 Coel Hellier 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

> I have lead one HVS which is the hardest climb that we have at the crag where I can get to.

Mow Cop? If so, commiserations on your local crag! Still, not that far to the Roaches etc!
OP RobBrooks 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:

I have always wanted to go up to the roaches and have a look at the climbing there. Is it any good?
 Coel Hellier 29 Nov 2015
In reply to RobinBrooks:

> I have always wanted to go up to the roaches and have a look at the climbing there. Is it any good?

Superb!
In reply to danm:

> Fair play to you for not getting phased

<pedant alert>

its 'fazed'.

</pedant alert>

(sorry, one of my pet irritations- along with 'literally', usually used to mean the exact opposite...)

tspoon1981 29 Nov 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

#Pedantalert

When you literally can't even....

http://bfy.tw/322n
In reply to tspoon1981:

Argh.

The world has literally gone mad.

(And don't get me started on 'epicentre'...)
 chris fox 30 Nov 2015
In reply to RBjitm:

I've an old but perfectly working HB #3 cam you can have. I can drop it off at Stockport AW sometime if you like. Think i have a few slings lying round too.

Chris
OP RobBrooks 30 Nov 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I have emailed you through the site
 danm 30 Nov 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

This is UKC. If I got irritated by pedantry I'm in the wrong plaice*.

*Yes, now I'm f***ing with you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...